Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's Time To Ask Your Linux Gaming Questions For GDC

Hybrid View

Default It's Time To Ask Your Linux Gaming Questions For GDC

Phoronix: It's Time To Ask Your Linux Gaming Questions For GDC

It's been one heck of a week already for Linux gamers with so many pro-Linux announcements during the Game Developer's Conference in San Francisco, but now it's time to get more of your Linux questions answered...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYzNzI

I would like to know about linux porting of legacy games as alone in the dark, tomb raider trilogy, warhammer 40k, splinter cell, homeworld 2,... in modern graphical way.

I'm just waiting (while taping my foot) for blizzard to start porting, even if they would to start with hearthstone wich should be an easy port.

Will AMD join the effort of getting the mesa stack up to date? Corect me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me most of the new opengl upbringing is done by intel devs. Seeing collaboration at least there would be very nice ('at least there' because with intel refusing gallium and llvm there isn' much else to collaboarte on...). Don't get me wrong, I love what amd is doing.

WIll nvidia finally join the nouveau party? I'm sick of their buggy driver... (very specific usecase, but nouveau handles it, blob doesn't; go figure)

Any plans for valve to work with the nine state tracker (push it upstream), ship a custom wine and bring older games to linux?

Serafean.

Does anyone know if the OGL conf will be livestreamed? Or maybe liveblogged?

How is the effort put towards problems with that mostly affect (competitive) fps gaming?

• Latency comparison Windows/Linux for audio/video/mouse/network etc
    • How stable is the performace? i.e. microstuttering, the difference between the average and minimum fps.
    • What is already solved and what is yet to be addressed?

I also would love to know whether AMD would consider focusing more on the open source driver, maybe even switch to it as the official linux/unix driver and drop the blob.

PS:
    Have been working on some OpenGL code recently which runs just fine with Mesa(AMD and Intel hw) but falls apart on Catalyst, prefer currently Mesa over any other OpenGL implementations tbh, even if it only offers GL3.3+
    Last edited by log0; 03-20-2014 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Serafean View Post
    WIll nvidia finally join the nouveau party? I'm sick of their buggy driver... (very specific usecase, but nouveau handles it, blob doesn't; go figure)
    You can hardly call it buggy if you know of only 1 bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Serafean View Post
    Any plans for valve to work with the nine state tracker (push it upstream), ship a custom wine and bring older games to linux?
    Here's something from Gabe's recent Reddit AMA:
    Hello Gabe and all, thanks for doing this AMA! Are there any plans to offer a solution so that we can legitimately run WINE instances of Windows games on GNU/Linux through the native GNU/Linux Steam client? Thank you (That is to say, right now we need to run Steam Windows on Linux as well through WINE in order to run any Windows games, which gets troublesome)

Gabe: WINE is definitely a useful tool for some things, but we're taking what we think is a more sustainable position by asking game developers to support Linux and SteamOS natively, for current and future titles. We think this is mostly what gamers want, too. It puts more power into the hands of developers and will result in better quality games in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by clementl View Post
    Here's something from Gabe's recent Reddit AMA:
    That sounds like avoiding the question...

Not particular a gaming question but targeted to some other folks that you might meet at GDC.

I'd like to know if the open-source supporting companies (AMD, intel, etc.) are interested to attract
    more community developers for their GPU drivers and infrastructure (MESA, DDX, Wayland stuff, etc.).
    Since I guess that is the case, do they have ideas how to improve on the current situation?

Things that come to my mind are "More and better documentation", "Hands on tutorials"
    and even the "GPU Book*" which seems to be dead at present.
    Investing manpower in projects like this probably pays mid- to long-term
    but they might disagree (would be interesting though).

[*] http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTIxMDk
    Last edited by entropy; 03-20-2014 at 12:31 PM.