Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Crytek Announces "EaaS" For Indie Game Developers

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Old Europe
    Posts
    932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by archibald View Post
    A lot of games use a 3D engine for a 2D game
    Sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by archibald View Post
    Trine being one particularly prominent example.
    Yes, a particular bad one.
    Trine is not a 2D game.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    5,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris200x9 View Post
    How would cryengine be for a 2D sidescroller? I was looking at unity but at 9 bucks a month and announced linux support this is hard to pass up.
    You're making something that is well within the capabilities of tens of FOSS engines. You would only lose by going to a proprietary engine - no source, fees, possibly other requirements such as advertising the engine in loading screen. As well as any fixes you made would then benefit the respective ecosystem.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Trine is not a 2D game.
    Good point, I assumed that the OP intended to have 3D graphics but have the game played in two. That being said, I do like the idea of using cryengine to produce a game with like Thomas Was Alone, if only to make the renderer developers slap their foreheads ans sigh :-D

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by archibald View Post
    Good point, I assumed that the OP intended to have 3D graphics but have the game played in two. That being said, I do like the idea of using cryengine to produce a game with like Thomas Was Alone, if only to make the renderer developers slap their foreheads ans sigh :-D
    That would be 2.5D, that's different from 2D.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shnatsel
    10 bucks per user per month, and that's a whole different story! Also, hell if I know who's a user by their definition!
    Which is exactly what I said above. If user refers to a developer and you're working in your own, it would be 10 bucks a month.

    If user refers to the actual enduser of your game you'll need to earn some serious cash. Without some kind of subscription based model you won't be earning close to 10$/user/month.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    That would be 2.5D, that's different from 2D.
    We can argue forever about that, apparently, since according to wikipedia 2.5D can mean about anything. As far as Iím concerned Iíve only seen it used for games with 3D graphics but 2D gameplay. Thomas Was Alone has 2D graphics and 2D gameplay, but uses 3D hardware (I guess)Ö

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stqn View Post
    As far as Iím concerned Iíve only seen it used for games with 3D graphics but 2D gameplay. Thomas Was Alone has 2D graphics and 2D gameplay, but uses 3D hardware (I guess)Ö
    That's my view as well. 3D graphics + 2D gameplay = 2.5D. 2D graphics + 2D gameplay = 2D, no matter how it uses the hardware (otherwise my card game would be a 2.5D game, because it uses OpenGL )

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    That's my view as well. 3D graphics + 2D gameplay = 2.5D. 2D graphics + 2D gameplay = 2D, no matter how it uses the hardware (otherwise my card game would be a 2.5D game, because it uses OpenGL )
    I've only ever seen the term 2.5D in reference to games that mix 2D and 3D graphics, like many point and click adventures and some jrpgs do. Mostly prerendered backgrounds with 3D characters. But I guess it could be stretched to mean anything "more than 2D, less than 3D". Underlying technology shouldn't matter though.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire View Post
    Which is exactly what I said above. If user refers to a developer and you're working in your own, it would be 10 bucks a month.

    If user refers to the actual enduser of your game you'll need to earn some serious cash. Without some kind of subscription based model you won't be earning close to 10$/user/month.
    But without a subscription model, there's no way you can know how many months your users are playing the game. Which means that the fee is per developer (per user of the SDK).

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EmbraceUnity View Post
    They also announced that their engine will support Mantle. And since Mantle should be open source and cross-platform, it gives hope that we can finally have something that will kill DirectX and OpenGL.
    Mantle doesn't kill OpenGL.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •