Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crytek Announces "EaaS" For Indie Game Developers

Hybrid View

Default Crytek Announces "EaaS" For Indie Game Developers

Phoronix: Crytek Announces "EaaS" For Indie Game Developers

The latest exciting announcement for gamers and game developers out of this week's GDC is word of Crytek starting an "Engine-as-a-Service" program...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYzNzU

How would cryengine be for a 2D sidescroller? I was looking at unity but at 9 bucks a month and announced linux support this is hard to pass up.

Interesting new developments... Gaming on Linux. Who knew.

They also announced that their engine will support Mantle. And since Mantle should be open source and cross-platform, it gives hope that we can finally have something that will kill DirectX and OpenGL.

Quote Originally Posted by EmbraceUnity View Post
    They also announced that their engine will support Mantle. And since Mantle should be open source and cross-platform, it gives hope that we can finally have something that will kill DirectX and OpenGL.
    yeah, very interesting. Exciting linux times Still they need to confirm that it both will work together in linux.
    Lockheed

I sure hope 9$/user/month actually means 9$/developer/month, otherwise this would be mighty expensive

Did I miss something? Since when has Mantle been open source? So far AMD has _promised_ to make it an open API (which would make it the same as OpenGL), but they've never said anything about open source. And, afaik, Linux support isn't coming.

You apparently haven't been reading the news lately, haven't you? Khronos Group and Microsoft have stated that it is possible to rework the codebase for their respective APIs and remove the overhead that causes the disparity in performance vs. Mantle.1 Speaking of which, there might be talks about it at GDC. I don't understand your reasoning, why would you ditch a piece of software that has been around and actively developed for 20 years? Age does not mean it's bloated and slow. I for one would rather see the HW manufacturers finally remove the fscking VGA port from all laptops, it's 2014 outside for Pete's sake. While at it, have a larger selection of CD/DVD-drive-less laptops.

1) http://www.tomshardware.com/news/dir...tle,26167.html

Mantle doesn't kill OpenGL.

Why some people wants to kill Opengl to replace it with Mantle a not Open source, bad documented, Amd GCN bounded API that ,in spite of being an api that works only with a small sets of cards (AMD GCN), in some cases causes stutter, vsync problems and crossfire problems, so it's just some kind of beta right now.

On the other hand Opengl can give developers the same performance gains that mantle claims with support for all the major vendors (Amd, Intel, Nvidia and even some Mobile phone gpus) it's open source and already exists.

Some GDC 2014 Slides: http://www.slideshare.net/CassEverit...iver-overhead#

Quote Originally Posted by chris200x9 View Post
    How would cryengine be for a 2D sidescroller? I was looking at unity but at 9 bucks a month and announced linux support this is hard to pass up.
    Probably not very good. Cryengine and Unreal Engine are 3D, not 2D engines. I think you'd be better off with Godot.