Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unreal Engine 4 Released, Source Code For $19 + Linux Support

Phoronix: Unreal Engine 4 Released, Source Code For $19 + Linux Support

The latest announcement out of this week's Game Developer's Conference (GDC) in San Francisco is that Epic Games has made Unreal Engine 4 publicly available! Not only is the engine available today, but licensing starts out much cheaper than with earlier versions of the Unreal Engine... For just $19 USD per month, you can get access to the UE4 engine code-base. UE4 is also Linux compatible...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great now they can finally make Unreal 3. I bet we'll see Half-Life 3 before that ever happens.

Comment

You'll find lots of good info on the FAQ (which addresses some of the "unanswered" questions in the Phoronix article).

Note that Epic isn't supporting Linux equally:
      What platforms can I access under the subscription plan?
      Unreal Engine 4 subscription enables you to deploy to Windows PC, Mac, iOS and Android. This is all available through the engine and tools download from this website.
      If you access the source code, you'll see that there is early work on other platforms, including Oculus VR, HTML5 and Linux. You are welcome to extend and modify this code, and also build and ship games for these platforms.
      Therefore, if you have programming resources you can use UE4 to ship games for Oculus, web browsers, Steambox and anywhere else UE4 might take you in the future.

In the current state of things their involvement with Linux could be limited to merging pull requests from other users into a separate branch.
      I hope they realise this separate branch must be temporary.
      With everything private that's not a recipe for successful collaboration, although it's at least it's a bit more streamlined than their previous approach which involved unversioned code dumps at best.

Comment

Holy shit what a f**king week. Also Oculus Rift DevKit v2 just announced. Now with Unity 5, Unreal Engine 4, CryEngine (2014) and Source 2, I'll just want to see Frostbite 3 (EA's AAA engine) come to Linux and the next years will be huge.

Comment

Devs on Twitter are promising official support for Linux in the future, both as a target and as a development platform.

Comment

I wonder if supporting Mac OS X actually makes sense if you keep in mind that the latest version is being limited to OpenGL 4.1 which is 4 years old.

Compute Shaders etc. only work with 4.3 and higher as far as I know.
            Last edited by blackout23; 19 March 2014, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
              Holy shit what a f**king week. Also Oculus Rift DevKit v2 just announced. Now with Unity 5, Unreal Engine 4, CryEngine (2014) and Source 2, I'll just want to see Frostbite 3 (EA's AAA engine) come to Linux and the next years will be huge.
              Yes, but at the same time I feel sorry for the Unigine guys.
              They do a great job and were among the first to show serious commitment for Linux.
              Yet, it seems to me Unigine never took off by means of sold licenses.
              And it's only getting harder...

Comment

Also The Witcher 2 RPG!!

Oh and they confirmed to me that the Unreal Engine 4 editor will work on Linux, so you will be able to build UE4 games natively:
                So, this is massive news and yet another reason why games not having a Linux version should become a thing of the past. Epic Games has announced Unreal Engine 4 with Linux support and not just in exporting, the toolkit will be native too.

Big day to be a Linux user!

Comment

That's interesting. One thing of note is that they're discontinuing the UDK. On one hand, that's annoying (no more easy way to test what it's like). On the other hand, it makes sense for Epic, and the terms for indie developers are much better than what it was on UDK (it was 25% of all profit there!). The reason why it makes sense to do it like that is that the main difference between UDK and UE3 was that UE3 granted full access to C++ source, while UDK only allowed access to UnrealScript. But UE4 dropped UnrealScript, and now everything is on C++, so the previous scheme doesn't work any more.

However, I do hope they'll release an Unreal Engine 4 Runtime at some point (there was Unreal Engine 2 Runtime that was free to download and try, but any non-educational use was prohibited outright).

As for Linux support, good to hear it's upstream. The status will probably improve in the future (but they probably won't port over the development tools, not yet anyway).

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                  Great now they can finally make Unreal 3. I bet we'll see Half-Life 3 before that ever happens.
                  Yea, I'd love to finally see Unreal III. UE4 having Linux support is nice and all, but without games, what's the point Also, in the video in the article, the first thing that was shown (and was on camera for a while) was the Unreal II cover, followed by a lot of things related exclusively to the Unreal (Tournament) series, so maybe it's a hint? Also of note is that it's currently the 10th anniversary of the release of Unreal Tournament 2004.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                    Yes, but at the same time I feel sorry for the Unigine guys.
                    They do a great job and were among the first to show serious commitment for Linux.
                    Yet, it seems to me Unigine never took off by means of sold licenses.
                    And it's only getting harder...
                    Yeah that is sadly right. But Unigine has already said it will focus more on simulations in the future because that's where most of their customers come from and they seem to be doing fine with this strategy. They said they will continue to work on the gaming side of Unigine but I am not sure for how much longer.

Comment

Working...
                    X