Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Khronos Officially Releases WebCL 1.0 For OpenCL On The Web

Phoronix: Khronos Officially Releases WebCL 1.0 For OpenCL On The Web

Almost three years after originally talking about WebCL, the Khronos Group has today finally come out with the ratified WebCL 1.0 specification for OpenCL compute support within the web browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't quite see why this exists - why would I want websites to run multi-thread computations on my GPU?

Might be useful for Google Docs, but that seems a rather niche use-case.

Comment

?? There are many use cases I think. For instance scientific plotting / graphing, particle simulators for "artistic" web pages...

Comment

Originally posted by FLHerne View Post
        I don't quite see why this exists - why would I want websites to run multi-thread computations on my GPU?

Might be useful for Google Docs, but that seems a rather niche use-case.
        • Offloading physics simulations for WebGL-based games
        • Photo/Video editing software on the web
        • GPU-accelerated decoding of video formats that aren't handled natively by your GPU's UVD/PureVideo implementation
        • Bitcoin mining without having to download a native/Java application first... Maybe even for YOUR btc wallet
        Last edited by Veerappan; 19 March 2014, 01:00 PM.

Comment

I'm somewhat glad that this finally made it out. I've been subscribed to the public WebCL mailing list for 2.5 years now, and I've been waiting for this to come out.

Also, WebCL comes with a set of conformance tests, which we can hopefully use to guide/accelerate Mesa/Clover development.

Comment

Wont this allow any webpage to read the frame buffer and potentially snoop or steal important information by sending it over the web? Is there proper memory segmentation in Nvidia and AMD cards?

Comment

Originally posted by vadix View Post
              Wont this allow any webpage to read the frame buffer and potentially snoop or steal important information by sending it over the web? Is there proper memory segmentation in Nvidia and AMD cards?
              WebGL won't allow that, obviously.

Comment

Hah, I said so when this was talked about a while back and will say it again. World's biggest gpu botnet.

1. Insert script on popular webpage
                2. Crack passwords, mine coins, whatever
                3. ????
                4. PROFIT

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                  • GPU-accelerated decoding of video formats that aren't handled natively by your GPU's UVD/PureVideo implementation
                  • Bitcoin mining without having to download a native/Java application first... Maybe even for YOUR btc wallet
                  So far, WebCL is DOA within WebKit because they haven't addressed the issues of security brought up in Aprile and May 2013. The dev discussions just died.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                    • A big one.
                    Another big one.
                  I'm not sure why people don't see the benefit here. It opens up web browsers to handling all sorts of data files and processing them for display. It seems like every industry or science has its own data and image format. Within a few years maybe even months a web browser could become a universal image viewer relieving people of the need to do image conversions and processing for an often data reduced format.

Comment

Working...
                    X