Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Now Runs Well On The MacBook Air, Beats OS X In Graphics

Phoronix: Ubuntu Now Runs Well On The MacBook Air, Beats OS X In Graphics

While last year I wrote how running Ubuntu is messy on the 2013 MacBook Air, when trying out Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on the Intel Haswell-based MacBook Air with HD Graphics 5000, it's a very different story. Not only is Ubuntu Linux now running on the MacBook Air without show-stopping issues, but its OpenGL performance can even beat Mac OS X 10.9.2.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

excellent news.

Comment

As always, "brilliant niuz" Unless test will include at least 100 games, there is no test.

Comment

i don't think you really need refit, as grub 2 manages EFI booting very well, only it needs some stupid manual operation at some point,
        see for example http://blind.guru/grub-efi-amd64-mba-upgrade.html

Comment

Efi stub

Originally posted by kapouer View Post
          i don't think you really need refit, as grub 2 manages EFI booting very well, only it needs some stupid manual operation at some point,
          see for example http://blind.guru/grub-efi-amd64-mba-upgrade.html
          EFI Stub in the Kernel is still _the_ way to go with Macs. The only problem is that it's not well-documented.

Comment

I'm afraid this performance comes at the expense of reduced battery life.

Comment

Originally posted by newwen View Post
              Are you telling crapple especially slowed their drivers to get better battery life?

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                Are you telling crapple especially slowed their drivers to get better battery life?
                He probably meant about new feature called 'Battery Boost' of nvidia drivers

But i think that is just ability to set max fps per game .

Last edited by dungeon; 19 March 2014, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by newwen View Post
                  Unless Mac OS is a lot dumber than we expect, or, if Michael ran all of the tests with the AC unplugged, then I highly doubt your statement is true. It isn't difficult to set up an OS to down-clock everything when running on batt and run at full speed when on AC.

I find it really hard to believe that Mac would always attempt to save battery life even when plugged in, though the test results are suspiciously bad.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Unless Mac OS is a lot dumber than we expect, or, if Michael ran all of the tests with the AC unplugged, then I highly doubt your statement is true. It isn't difficult to set up an OS to down-clock everything when running on batt and run at full speed when on AC.

I find it really hard to believe that Mac would always attempt to save battery life even when plugged in, though the test results are suspiciously bad.
                    OSX always has way better battery life than windows or linux on the same machine - at least on apple's machines. I don't think they are just downclocking the hardware, i assume they are doing fancy stuff in, for example, the mobo driver and taking advantage of the fact that they can write drivers just for their own hardware rather than trying to get something generic which runs everywhere.

Comment

Working...
                    X