Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: Oracle Finally Releases Java 8

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,646

    Default Oracle Finally Releases Java 8

    Phoronix: Oracle Finally Releases Java 8

    At long last Oracle has officially made available Java 8...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYzNTI

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Oracle doesn't distribute a .deb package for Debian/Ubuntu, but it can be generated with java-package 0.53:

    Code:
    $ apt-get install java-package
    $ make-jpkg jdk-8-linux-x64.tar.gz

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ebourg View Post
    Oracle doesn't distribute a .deb package for Debian/Ubuntu, but it can be generated with java-package 0.53:

    Code:
    $ apt-get install java-package
    $ make-jpkg jdk-8-linux-x64.tar.gz
    i hate that they dont provide one -.-
    i find myself using webupd8 ppa: http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/insta...buntu-via.html
    for easy install and update.

    is there a reason why they dont provide a deb file or even better put it on the store?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    221

    Default because they love red hat

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSoulz View Post
    i hate that they dont provide one -.-
    i find myself using webupd8 ppa: http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/insta...buntu-via.html
    for easy install and update.

    is there a reason why they dont provide a deb file or even better put it on the store?

    because they love red hat, like intel do with this openclsdk, but a ppa exists, not really a problem

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSoulz View Post
    i hate that they dont provide one -.-
    i find myself using webupd8 ppa: http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/insta...buntu-via.html
    for easy install and update.

    is there a reason why they dont provide a deb file or even better put it on the store?
    When Oracel took over Java, they changed the license so that Canonical could no longer distribute it. They said that it was just a temp thing and would lead to better things... still waiting

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJenbo View Post
    When Oracel took over Java, they changed the license so that Canonical could no longer distribute it. They said that it was just a temp thing and would lead to better things... still waiting
    Oracle withdrew the "Operating System Distributor License for Java" (DLJ) to promote OpenJDK, the "better thing" you are looking for is there:

    http://packages.ubuntu.com/openjdk-7

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    708

    Default

    Sadly some applications still only run with Oracle java, and I have a lot of users complain that installing java is non intuitive when the package they need is actually called Icedtea. Furthermore sites that require java just points to Java.com where they are just handed a tar and not given propper instructions on how to install it or that openjdk exists. In any case I find that having both easily available is better than just one

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ebourg View Post
    Oracle withdrew the "Operating System Distributor License for Java" (DLJ) to promote OpenJDK, the "better thing" you are looking for is there:

    http://packages.ubuntu.com/openjdk-7
    That does not sound like good news at all :P
    I find openJDK slower and fonts are uglyer then oracle's java.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Thanks for the props, op!

    I just expand the .tar.gz archive into ~/opt/jdk/jdk1.8.0/. For development, it's best not to use the repo system, hence tools like rbenv in Ruby.

    The only advantage to a repository version of Java is to support other Java apps in the repo.

    Jigsaw supposedly will make application distribution a lot better on Linux in Java 9

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Awesome! Switching as soon as possible.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •