Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unity 5 Announced With New Game Engine Features

Phoronix: Unity 5 Announced With New Game Engine Features

Coinciding with today's announcement that Mozilla is bringing Unity to the web via ASM.js and WebGL, the Unity 5 game engine has been announced during the Game Developers Conference...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh, it's about Unity3D. And here I thought Canonical was pulling something again.

And yea, that's right, GDC, that's probably why GOG announced their plans this week as well. I wonder what else is waiting.

Comment

I used unity for all my previous game projects, but because I moved to linux and there's no linux editor it became difficult to keep using it.

My newest project is currently in the progress of moving to Godot, it's actually excellent and the documentation is OK as it's only a few months out in the public. Bonus in that it's FOSS.

I was put off by the custom scripting language at first, but it's alright. It's essentially just a slightly altered python that is custom tailored for their engine layout and easier to embed. There's also already a lua fork being worked on so I doubt it will take long for that to get mainlined as it seems stable enough.
      Last edited by peppercats; 18 March 2014, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        Oh, it's about Unity3D. And here I thought Canonical was pulling something again.

And yea, that's right, GDC, that's probably why GOG announced their plans this week as well. I wonder what else is waiting.
        well, GuildSoftware is there and they're announcing something after GDC. (source -> http://www.vendetta-online.com/x/msgboard/1/28690)

Also the people from i-Novae Studios are there, I guess they'll bring up a video or at least some kind of informations about their incoming Kickstarter campaign. (source -> http://inovaekeith.blogspot.de/2014/...-gdc-2014.html)

So there's gonna be some space .

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
          I used unity for all my previous game projects, but because I moved to linux and there's no linux editor it became difficult to keep using it.

My newest project is currently in the progress of moving to Godot, it's actually excellent and the documentation is OK as it's only a few months out in the public. Bonus in that it's FOSS.

I was put off by the custom scripting language at first, but it's alright. It's essentially just a slightly altered python that is custom tailored for their engine layout and easier to embed. There's also already a lua fork being worked on so I doubt it will take long for that to get mainlined as it seems stable enough.
          Yeah! Godot is a great engine, and we can add any feature. Not depending on some devs dictating what they want us to do!

Also worth mentioning is the blender. Without it we cannot make anything in Godot.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            Glad I'm not the only one who was like "Wait, what?!"

/s/Announed With New Game Engine/Game Engine Announced With New/ would probably make more sense and prevent this confusion. >.<

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
              Also the people from i-Novae Studios are there, I guess they'll bring up a video or at least some kind of informations about their incoming Kickstarter campaign. (source -> http://inovaekeith.blogspot.de/2014/...-gdc-2014.html)
              Huh, these guys are still around? I'm... not sure how I feel about that. The idea is pretty cool, but it's been floating around for a really long while and nothing ever seemed to realise from it.

Comment

i refuse use games with this

i simply refuse use game with unity3d untill they make a native webplayer for linux, this guys are ridiculous, most of chrome store games use this shit

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
                  i simply refuse use game with unity3d untill they make a native webplayer for linux, this guys are ridiculous, most of chrome store games use this shit
                  What part of the article did you not understand?

WebGL is avaible in every modern browser, on every modern platform, including Linux. No plugin needed.

Comment

???

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                    What part of the article did you not understand?

WebGL is avaible in every modern browser, on every modern platform, including Linux. No plugin needed.
                    what part of unity3d not working in linux you dont understand? i?m not talking about webgl i?m talking about the games who use unity3d web player

Comment

Working...
                    X