X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great work.

Comment

Nice!

Never tried E myself but it's good to see some real progress towards getting a usable Wayland DE.

Comment

Anyone knows if this can work with software rendering? Ie. in virtualbox?

Comment

Lol it feels like for the past year we've had articles about the big DEs and Distros making plans and roadmaps and for supporting wayland in the distant future because there's still so much work to be done, and now Enlightenment comes out of its cave and say they've done it Great work, i'd also be interested in trying this in a VM ^^

(I know KDE and Gnome probably have more to port because they are bigger and i read the article that said E19 does not yet fully support it either, but nevertheless it's still funny )

Comment

ALSO:

paging Scimmia for AUR packages

Comment

Originally posted by devilhorns View Post
              Yes it is the first DE to run using Wayland (and not rely on Weston compositor) as far as I know.
              How far did you look?

Comment

Originally posted by dstaubsauger View Post
                Lol it feels like for the past year we've had articles about the big DEs and Distros making plans and roadmaps and for supporting wayland in the distant future because there's still so much work to be done
                Gnome and KDE certainly aren't talking "distant future"... remember, the intention was that the upcoming Gnome 3.12 release would include Wayland support, as a preview if not for regular use yet. I'm not sure exactly what the current state of Gnome on Wayland is, but I don't think it's all that different from what Enlightenment now has.

I must say I'm impressed at the changes in Enlightenment development, though. The project used to be something of a joke, for all the years that passed before E18 came out - it was discounted by many as vapourware, never expected to deliver. But now, there's life in the project - they released E18, and are pushing on, will probably one of the first desktops to ship with full Wayland support.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                  Gnome and KDE certainly aren't talking "distant future"... remember, the intention was that the upcoming Gnome 3.12 release would include Wayland support, as a preview if not for regular use yet. I'm not sure exactly what the current state of Gnome on Wayland is, but I don't think it's all that different from what Enlightenment now has.

I must say I'm impressed at the changes in Enlightenment development, though. The project used to be something of a joke, for all the years that passed before E18 came out - it was discounted by many as vapourware, never expected to deliver. But now, there's life in the project - they released E18, and are pushing on, will probably one of the first desktops to ship with full Wayland support.
                  lol, pre-18 was linux version of duke nukem forever

anyways, awesome news. especially about all features. i hope this also means E on wayland will support weston like window rotations. since i do quite a lot of hand drawing that is one of most useful weston features for me. brings canvas rotation into every painting software, not to mention it is probably faster than software doing its own rotation since it happens on GL level

Comment

Originally posted by devilhorns View Post
                    And by the way, the name is Chris Michael .. Not Chris Michaels
                    Wait, a pro wrestler is writing E19?

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                      ALSO:

paging Scimmia for AUR packages
                      LOL, check the AUR comments, they're in the works. We've had wayland_shm enabled in efl-git for a while now, so I just enabled the drm engine and it should work fine for all uses. Having a few problems building E, it fails on the wl_x11 module when used with --enable-wayland-only. We disabled that and are getting some EGL errors trying to run it. Once we have a good PKGBUILD, it will probably go into the AUR separately as enlightenment-wayland-git.

Comment

Working...
                      X