Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlightenment 0.19 Lands Full Wayland Support, Its Own Compositor

Phoronix: Enlightenment 0.19 Lands Full Wayland Support, Its Own Compositor

As expected the Enlightenment 0.19 release features full support for Wayland, down to serving as its own compositor and running directly off the DRM graphics device...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Corrections

Ok, before all the speculation and misinformation starts, let me clear up some things and make some corrections to this article...

The stuff that got pushed today is for running Enlightenment without X11. It renders using it's own Wayland compositor. When built without X support, the compositor will render using DRM. What is mentioned in the article about being "full" needs some clarification.

First, this is full Wayland support (meaning it supports everything that current wayland supports, minus xdg-shell which is coming).

What is is NOT is Full Enlightenment support (meaning that some Enlightenment features do not function yet...some Enlightenment modules may not load, or may not function 100%).

The bugs I mentioned in the Readme are Not bugs with the Wayland implementation. They are bugs concerning the running of Enlightenment itself in a wayland only setup.

With regard to the XWayland portion of this article ... I do already have code for that, it's just not pushed to git yet

And by the way, the name is Chris Michael .. Not Chris Michaels

Comment

Originally posted by devilhorns View Post
      Ok, before all the speculation and misinformation starts, let me clear up some things and make some corrections to this article...

The stuff that got pushed today is for running Enlightenment without X11. It renders using it's own Wayland compositor. When built without X support, the compositor will render using DRM. What is mentioned in the article about being "full" needs some clarification.

First, this is full Wayland support (meaning it supports everything that current wayland supports, minus xdg-shell which is coming).

What is is NOT is Full Enlightenment support (meaning that some Enlightenment features do not function yet...some Enlightenment modules may not load, or may not function 100%).

The bugs I mentioned in the Readme are Not bugs with the Wayland implementation. They are bugs concerning the running of Enlightenment itself in a wayland only setup.

With regard to the XWayland portion of this article ... I do already have code for that, it's just not pushed to git yet

And by the way, the name is Chris Michael .. Not Chris Michaels
      Thanks for the clarifications, updated.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thank You

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Thanks for the clarifications, updated.
        Thank you Michael for the fixes Was not trying to complain, as I appreciate the post, just wanted to be sure it's an accurate one. Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by devilhorns View Post
          Thank you Michael for the fixes Was not trying to complain, as I appreciate the post, just wanted to be sure it's an accurate one. Cheers
          Right, thanks, feedback/clarifications is appreciated when tirelessly writing so many articles everyday on so many topics
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

This is very good news and I appreciate the effort of all those involved. I shall look to install it this weekend to give it a whirl, I don't mind the lack of features / instability as I have limited use cases.

What I was wondering is how much Weston is involved in this? I understand that a lot of Wayland-based stuff basically piggy-backs Weston at the minute. Is Weston a dependency, or is some code taken from Weston, or is this completely independent of Weston?

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
              This is very good news and I appreciate the effort of all those involved. I shall look to install it this weekend to give it a whirl, I don't mind the lack of features / instability as I have limited use cases.

What I was wondering is how much Weston is involved in this? I understand that a lot of Wayland-based stuff basically piggy-backs Weston at the minute. Is Weston a dependency, or is some code taken from Weston, or is this completely independent of Weston?
              There is Zero (0, none) Weston involved here. Weston is Not a dependency for this, this is completely 100% independent. The only requirement is the Wayland libraries (in that regard).

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                What I was wondering is how much Weston is involved in this?
                Weston is an example compositor, showing how to use Wayland and allowing testing. This replaces it with E's own compositor.

Comment

Amazing work, Chris! As far as I know, Enlightenment is the first DE to actually run on Wayland and still support launching "legacy" X applications. Is that true?

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
                    Amazing work, Chris! As far as I know, Enlightenment is the first DE to actually run on Wayland and still support launching "legacy" X applications. Is that true?
                    Thank You

When I get the XWayland support (for legacy applications) pushed into git (maybe this or next week), but Yes it is the first DE to run using Wayland (and not rely on Weston compositor) as far as I know.
                    Last edited by devilhorns; 18 March 2014, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X