Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Remote Access Proposal For Wayland's Weston

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,130

    Default Remote Access Proposal For Wayland's Weston

    Phoronix: Remote Access Proposal For Wayland's Weston

    RealVNC has proposed a new remote access interface for Wayland's Weston compositor to support remote desktop solutions like VNC, RDP, etc...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ5MDQ

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Remote Access Proposal For Wayland's Weston

    RealVNC has proposed a new remote access interface for Wayland's Weston compositor to support remote desktop solutions like VNC, RDP, etc...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQ5MDQ
    This is supposed to be easily implemented in other compositors right??

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,559

    Default

    I don't think I've ever had a positive experience with VNC.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    149

    Default

    I'ts time for modern techniques. Compositors are nothing but OGL applications. Valve is able to stream games within the Intranet so there must be a way to implement this in compositors. If its done correctly you should even be able to stream everything... even steam-games. Correct me if i'm wrong.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kemosabe View Post
    I'ts time for modern techniques. Compositors are nothing but OGL applications. Valve is able to stream games within the Intranet so there must be a way to implement this in compositors. If its done correctly you should even be able to stream everything... even steam-games. Correct me if i'm wrong.
    X11 networking capability has been outclassed for decades now.

    It's certainly possible to stream animation, games, and other things like that over the network. People do it all the time. They just don't use X to do it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    776

    Default

    This is still the oldschool style of "capture the whole output, display as a single window on the remote display". I'd really prefer if each window was sent separately, then displayed in its own window with proper decorations on the client. Native integration, if you wish.

    After all, the wayland compositor's job is to wait for framebuffers, then composite them onto the screen. Shouldn't be difficult to send the new framebuffer across the net to another wayland instance, where it's just drawn onto a window and then submitted to the local compositor.

    At least architectually, it should be simple. Devil's in the details and everything.

    Caveats: it would require a new protocol. Access to the "root window" would still require another huge window on the client. Possibly higher bandwidth requirements due to transmitting content of hidden windows, but then again moving windows becomes a lot cheaper.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rohcQaH View Post
    another wayland instance
    Would that not require client to also have Wayland running? Considering it's basically Linux (and maybe BSD in flthe future) only, that's not gonna work.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    776

    Default

    I guess the client only needs to open a window and draw the transmitted framebuffer onto it, which isn't wayland specific at all. If VNC can do so with one window, doing it with multiple windows is easy.
    Sending input back to the server is easier with wayland though, since it wouldn't require any translation in input protocols.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Linuxland
    Posts
    5,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    I don't think I've ever had a positive experience with VNC.
    I have one. I record screencasts by using vncrec, it gets perfect quality while hardly using any space and cpu (compared to normal screen recorders, which trash the hd and cpu even if they don't encode live).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rohcQaH View Post
    This is still the oldschool style of "capture the whole output, display as a single window on the remote display". I'd really prefer if each window was sent separately, then displayed in its own window with proper decorations on the client. Native integration, if you wish.
    Is it? The details on this project are a little unclear, but while VNC is known for remoting the entire desktop, the same approach can be done on a per-window basis. It's long been proposed that that would be the best way to do remoting for Wayland...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •