Thread: Mozilla Working To Port Unity Game Engine For The Web

Hybrid View

Default Mozilla Working To Port Unity Game Engine For The Web

Phoronix: Mozilla Working To Port Unity Game Engine For The Web

Unity has partnered with Mozilla for bringing their popular Unity Game Engine to web browsers via WebGL and ASM.js...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYzNDc

I read that Unity web-brower player wasn't available for Linux, which is why I can't play StarWars:AttackSquadrons won't work for me

Will this update fix this issue for linux users?

Also, I would be so so so grateful if somone could get SW:AS working on Ubuntu using wine or someother method. Its free-to-play, so please try to make it work

EDIT: I'll send you a beta invite if your willing to try.

Quote Originally Posted by dh04000 View Post
    I read that Unity web-brower player wasn't available for Linux, which is why I can't play StarWars:AttackSquadrons won't work for me

Also, I would be so so so grateful if somone could get SW:AS working on Ubuntu using wine or someother method. Its free-to-play, so please try to make it work

EDIT: I'll send you a beta invite if your willing to try.
    Hi,

Pipelight can run the unity web plugin in your browser using a wine plugin. It's available for most distros.
    Specific details for unity here.

Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by peppercats View Post
    Hi,

Pipelight can run the unity web plugin in your browser using a wine plugin. It's available for most distros.

Best of luck.

Thank you! I'll take a stab at this after work!

Hi,

Best of luck.

Good news and bad news.

Good news, it WORKS!

Bad news, the frame rate and input lag cripples it, unplayable

Thank you for the help though, I almost had it!

Quote Originally Posted by dh04000 View Post
    It will for games that port to the new engine and enable it. Nothing magical to fix old games, though.

Angry

Is it proprietary? If so, it basically means Mozilla is working on proprietary software, but I wouldn't be so surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Calinou View Post
    Is it proprietary? If so, it basically means Mozilla is working on proprietary software, but I wouldn't be so surprised.
    Mozilla already supports running proprietary JS in your browser. You know this, right?

Mozilla already supports running proprietary JS in your browser. You know this, right?
    It's not entirely their problem: to block it, they have to do something against it.

In this case, they are doing something to promote it. To "block" it, they would just have to do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Calinou View Post
    They are helping the developers of the Unity engine to port Unity to the HTML5/Javascript platform. That is because Mozilla developed asm.js and they need people like Unity to use it. Unity (and problably most of the games using it) are closed source, but Mozilla's asm.js implementation that is built into firefox is open source. Basically this asm.js thing is part of mozilla's "battle" against proprietary browser plugins (like flash, shockwave, the old unity webplayer, silverlight etc), which can do far more damage spyware/malware-wise than the asm.js-compatible javascript that is within the webpage's sandbox.