Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Khronos Releases OpenGL ES 3.1

Phoronix: Khronos Releases OpenGL ES 3.1

The Khronos Group has kicked off this week's Game Developers Conference by unveiling the OpenGL ES 3.1 specification for advancing the mobile-oriented 3D graphics API...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What is really the difference between OpenGL and OpenGL ES?
    I know ES is for embedded systems.

But what is the real difference?

Is OpenGL ES limited to fixed-point, while OpenGL have floating-point operations, or what is it?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      What is really the difference between OpenGL and OpenGL ES?
      I know ES is for embedded systems.

But what is the real difference?

Is OpenGL ES limited to fixed-point, while OpenGL have floating-point operations, or what is it?
      Anandtech has a solid breakdown.

Comment

Standard OpenGL offers much more features than ES, eg. ES doesn't support Geometry Shaders, which is really important feature for GPU based culling (lower CPU overhead) and some other advanced features. Anyway compared ES3/3.1 to ES2 modern API is really nice and allow programmers to prepare advanced effects with low CPU overhead.

Comment

Originally posted by nadro View Post
          Standard OpenGL offers much more features than ES, eg. ES doesn't support Geometry Shaders, which is really important feature for GPU based culling (lower CPU overhead) and some other advanced features. Anyway compared ES3/3.1 to ES2 modern API is really nice and allow programmers to prepare advanced effects with low CPU overhead.
          To me it seems like smartphones should be moved over to OGL and we should keep ES "dumb" for real embedded systems. There was a time and place where phones used to be "embedded systems", that's no longer the case.

If we stay using ES on smartphones, Khronos needs to be real careful they don't just turn it into standard OGL during the natural progress of the smartphone space.

Comment

The open-source drivers still have a lot of work done for reaching OpenGL 4.0/4.1/4.2/4.3/4.4 support and thus blocking some OpenGL ES 3.1 functionality.
            Most of the new features in OpenGL ES 3.1 are features already done in mesa or beeing worked on, according to http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/tree/docs/GL3.txt

Comment

Originally posted by elapsed View Post
              To me it seems like smartphones should be moved over to OGL and we should keep ES "dumb" for real embedded systems. There was a time and place where phones used to be "embedded systems", that's no longer the case.

If we stay using ES on smartphones, Khronos needs to be real careful they don't just turn it into standard OGL during the natural progress of the smartphone space.
              GLES has always been the second chance to fix the huge bloat of the GL1 era before the shader language rendered huge swathes of old functions obsolete.

I'd also question the necessity another embedded systems language - hardware is becoming smaller and more efficient and easily capable of providing these feature sets even in your toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                Anandtech has a solid breakdown.
                Link? I couldn't find it.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, do these compute shaders make it possible for GPU applications to let the GPU write things to CPU memory?

Comment

AMD Catalyst doesn't support OpenGL 4.4 yet (partially, yes), so we'll see how fast they will add ES 3.1 support.

Comment

Working...
                    X