Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Server's GLAMOR "Mega Series" Merged

Phoronix: X.Org Server's GLAMOR "Mega Series" Merged

Eric Anholt's big Intel patch-set to the GLAMOR acceleration architecture has now been merged for the mainline X.Org Server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Xorg 1.16 is going to be fun for the RadeonSI users. But does that mean that current glamor acceleration is horrendously slow? Or is it 'usable'?

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
      Xorg 1.16 is going to be fun for the RadeonSI users. But does that mean that current glamor acceleration is horrendously slow? Or is it 'usable'?
      It's usable if you have v0.6, which came out a few weeks ago. Some of these newer xorg patches have been backported into the glamor lib as well, although i don't think all of them have.

You can still find a few tests (like circles) that are extremely slow, but they don't seem to occur too much in real use.

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
        I build glamor lib from git on r600g hardware (Trinity and Richland chips) and it works just fine for general use and it does for quite some time now. There are some gtkperf tests like the "lines" and "circles" that take huge amounts of time to complete compared to exa, but those dont seem to be used in real applications (libreoffice had some real nasty hiccups when i used calc but recently it seems to work just fine).
        Also there were some issues related to gtk2 application icons being invisible in the system tray, but that too was fixed.

Originally posted by smitty3268
        It's usable if you have v0.6, which came out a few weeks ago. Some of these newer xorg patches have been backported into the glamor lib as well, although i don't think all of them have.
        This code integration into x means that the glamor lib will be less useful with older x servers as some of the patches that went in x dont seem to be in it or those that missing are not relevant for use with the separate library? BTW the last batch of patches by Eric Anholt were committed 8 days ago in the glamor git.

Comment

Originally posted by gradinaruvasile View Post
          This code integration into x means that the glamor lib will be less useful with older x servers as some of the patches that went in x dont seem to be in it or those that missing are not relevant for use with the separate library? BTW the last batch of patches by Eric Anholt were committed 8 days ago in the glamor git.
          I suspect considering Glamor lib the maintenance branch at this point wouldn't be too far off the truth. Active development does not happen there but it still maintained and I'd expect backports like the huge patch series some time ago could happen again if someone has time and it's deemed important.

Comment

Working...
          X