Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Firefox 28.0 Delivers VP9 Video Decoding, Opus In WebM

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,636

    Default Firefox 28.0 Delivers VP9 Video Decoding, Opus In WebM

    Phoronix: Firefox 28.0 Delivers VP9 Video Decoding, Opus In WebM

    Mozilla Firefox 28.0 is being prepped for release right now and it comes with some exciting updates for users of this open-source, cross-platform browser...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYzMzY

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Oh damn... I was hoping they would finally release a stable, light and fast web browser...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by atari314 View Post
    Oh damn... I was hoping they would finally release a stable, light and fast web browser...
    Firefox and Chromium user here. I can't recall the last time Firefox crashed on me, so I guess that makes it quite stable (for me). I also find it to consistently consume less RAM than Chromium. Firefox 27 seems as fast as Chromium (I have a low speed connection, though).
    Last edited by Pseus; 03-17-2014 at 11:19 PM.

  4. #4

    Default Shumway

    I'm really looking forward to when they enable Shumway by default.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pseus View Post
    I also find it to consistently consume less RAM than Chromium.
    Pass `--single-process` to Chromium for an apples to apples comparison. Chromium's sandboxing comes at a high memory usage cost. It puts each site instance in an empty chroot, process namespace and network namespace. Unlike on Windows, it's able to reduce the kernel attack surface by making use of seccomp so it's not easy to bypass the sandbox.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strcat View Post
    Pass `--single-process` to Chromium for an apples to apples comparison. Chromium's sandboxing comes at a high memory usage cost. It puts each site instance in an empty chroot, process namespace and network namespace. Unlike on Windows, it's able to reduce the kernel attack surface by making use of seccomp so it's not easy to bypass the sandbox.
    It is not an apples to apples comparison.
    * --single-process is not supported under chromium and may leads to errors and crashes, firefox works ok in native single process mode instead.
    Chromium is just NOT usable in that configuration.

    * I'm certainly not going to ask for a chromium option to provide the (better) framework extension firefox provides.

    The apple to apple comparision is with the borwsers as they come out of the box; then you can compare reactivity, memory usage, cpu use and so on.

    And, out of the box, chromium uses an excessive amount of ram, imho.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pseus View Post
    Firefox and Chromium user here. I can't recall the last time Firefox crashed on me, so I guess that makes it quite stable (for me). I also find it to consistently consume less RAM than Chromium. Firefox 27 seems as fast as Chromium (I have a low speed connection, though).
    I can crash Chrome, Epiphany, Firefox and any other browser on Debian Linux. Even with 32 GB RAM I can bring them all to their knees. The easiest is using Flash. Another one is just surfing piss poorly written web sites like The HuffingtonPost, itself used to test against WebKit for being such a pig on resources.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    germany
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
    I can crash Chrome, Epiphany, Firefox and any other browser on Debian Linux. Even with 32 GB RAM I can bring them all to their knees. The easiest is using Flash. Another one is just surfing piss poorly written web sites like The HuffingtonPost, itself used to test against WebKit for being such a pig on resources.

    Isn't "click to play" default now for flash on firefox?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dstaubsauger View Post
    Isn't "click to play" default now for flash on firefox?
    No, that is only for non-Flash plugins like Java or Silverlight. Flash still plays automatically, if installed, by default.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pseus View Post
    Firefox and Chromium user here. I can't recall the last time Firefox crashed on me, so I guess that makes it quite stable (for me). I also find it to consistently consume less RAM than Chromium. Firefox 27 seems as fast as Chromium (I have a low speed connection, though).
    For me Firefox keeps crashing ever since the 25 update. But not in safe mode and there's nothing in the distro bug tracker about it, so I think that's some extension causing this...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •