Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: KDE Plasma Next Getting Better Logos & Icons

Quote Originally Posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    Keep in mind that if you're basing your opinion off of the current oxygen theme that this new theme they're designing to be the default has absolutely nothing to do with the oxygen styling.
    Any links to either extensive screenshots or at least design mock-ups?

Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    This group is new, and for KDE5.
    Quite interesting.

Just what exactly do you think they should be doing differently?
    Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    If you think they are missing something, please go tell them. The forums are quite open to user suggestions, as long as you are willing to back them up with concrete examples and not just trolling.
    I realize the tone was a bit troll-ish but I'm simply one of the many people who think KDE's style looks absolutely terrible (I mainly have the DE and the various famous KDE apps in mind) but the tales of good, mature and clean code (to the best of my knowledge, no such thing exists on the GTK side of the fence) make me wish it had something resembling competent design.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackCat View Post
    The icons are just one of many different things they are working on.
    Emphasis on the many I guess. I've seen quite a few KDE people reluctantly admit that the icons may not be the best but everything else is just fine which was IMO absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
    Any links to either extensive screenshots or at least design mock-ups?
    I'm not part of the design group and they've only shared a few screenshots with the general public so far however the initial posts and follow-ups have indicated a complete break with oxygen to create a new theme for KDE.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
    I realize the tone was a bit troll-ish but I'm simply one of the many people who think KDE's style looks absolutely terrible (I mainly have the DE and the various famous KDE apps in mind) but the tales of good, mature and clean code (to the best of my knowledge, no such thing exists on the GTK side of the fence) make me wish it had something resembling competent design.

Emphasis on the many I guess. I've seen quite a few KDE people reluctantly admit that the icons may not be the best but everything else is just fine which was IMO absurd.
    I've never understood this, but just what exactly do you think is wrong with the current style, give specific examples, and you might also want to try to join the design group to help them in their new styling.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Not quite. KDE5 doesn't exist. This is for Plasma Next.

What does that have to do with anything?

If they "dump Plasma", then they also dump the analog clock Plasma is the graphical UI of KDE, just like GNOME Shell is for GNOME. They can't drop it because otherwise there won't be much left.

The side bar is Dolphin, and it was there before Files even existed.
    It's a pig and those Plasma Widgets are poor stepchildren attempting to be useful ala OS X but often just massive drains on the system.

If you can't get an analog clock drawn on the screen I suggest they study Quartz Extreme and get the ability of Display PDF.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
    It's a pig and those Plasma Widgets are poor stepchildren attempting to be useful ala OS X but often just massive drains on the system.
    That would be true if plasma widgets were just tacked on top of an ordinary desktop. But that is not how plasma works. In plasma everything, including the desktop and panel themselves, is a widget. Further, widgets don't need to know or care whether they appear in the panel, on the desktop, on the screen locker, on a tablet, on a phone, or on a TV. You write a widget once and plasma makes sure it is handled correctly (although of course you can tweak it for specific form-factors if you want).

I'm not part of the design group and they've only shared a few screenshots with the general public so far however the initial posts and follow-ups have indicated a complete break with oxygen to create a new theme for KDE.

I've never understood this, but just what exactly do you think is wrong with the current style, give specific examples, and you might also want to try to join the design group to help them in their new styling.
    for me... fairy, shiny blue, too much blue and really bland/tasteless default widget theme. this theme on the other hand fixes 90% of my complaints. if they changed default widgets to some slick one, i'd be on board.

Quote Originally Posted by justmy2cents View Post
    for me... fairy, shiny blue, too much blue and really bland/tasteless default widget theme. this theme on the other hand fixes 90% of my complaints. if they changed default widgets to some slick one, i'd be on board.
    KF5 will have a brand new theme, saw some screenshots and pretty slick!