Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Python 3.4 Is Now Available With New Features

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,093

    Default Python 3.4 Is Now Available With New Features

    Phoronix: Python 3.4 Is Now Available With New Features

    Python 3.4.0 is now available as the latest major update to the popular programming language...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYzMjU

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    231

    Default

    It's a while since I looked at Python. Is everyone still ignoring the version 3.x branch in favour of writing 2.x version code because thet can't be bothered to update their code or because of modules that only support 2.x?

    When I looked at it I remember wanting to query a Mysql database, but the module only existed for 2.x, and I had no interest in writing for an outgoing version. But it turns out it wasn't outgoing. The old version is still limping on.

    I just stick to Perl now.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kaprikawn View Post
    It's a while since I looked at Python. Is everyone still ignoring the version 3.x branch in favour of writing 2.x version code because thet can't be bothered to update their code or because of modules that only support 2.x?

    When I looked at it I remember wanting to query a Mysql database, but the module only existed for 2.x, and I had no interest in writing for an outgoing version. But it turns out it wasn't outgoing. The old version is still limping on.

    I just stick to Perl now.
    It's sadly true, I am writing a Flask based backend and at the moment, 3.x branch of Flask is still WIP. But I am pretty assured that 2.x branch will stay atleast for 4-5 years down the line because of the massive number of libraries that support 2.x exclusively. I recon that the latest bugfix release for Python 2.x was done pretty recently

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kaprikawn View Post
    It's a while since I looked at Python. Is everyone still ignoring the version 3.x branch in favour of writing 2.x version code because thet can't be bothered to update their code or because of modules that only support 2.x?
    Yeah, pretty much, which is unfortunate - Python 3 has some seriously important features, most notably the consistent use of unicode strings internally (Python 2 supported unicode types, but you'd end up doing charset conversions every time you called a library function).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kaprikawn View Post
    It's a while since I looked at Python. Is everyone still ignoring the version 3.x branch in favour of writing 2.x version code because thet can't be bothered to update their code or because of modules that only support 2.x?
    I use 3.x whenever I can, but inevitably it only gets used for small scripts. Bigger projects that use wxWidgets for example are still stuck at 2.7.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shaurz View Post
    I use 3.x whenever I can, but inevitably it only gets used for small scripts. Bigger projects that use wxWidgets for example are still stuck at 2.7.
    This is a bit OT: but why don't use pyqt?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thaodan View Post
    This is a bit OT: but why don't use pyqt?
    If only it was that easy! I'm not going to re-write large projects in Qt. And I use it in my day job too on a product with 375,000 lines of Python and 4+ years of investment in the codebase.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shaurz View Post
    If only it was that easy! I'm not going to re-write large projects in Qt. And I use it in my day job too on a product with 375,000 lines of Python and 4+ years of investment in the codebase.
    Ok this is a large valid point but for new projects?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shaurz View Post
    If only it was that easy! I'm not going to re-write large projects in Qt. And I use it in my day job too on a product with 375,000 lines of Python and 4+ years of investment in the codebase.
    This is what keeps me from switching to pyqt as well. It would make some of my work - especially packaging of windows ports - easier and cleaner, but redoing and retesting the (non-trivial) UIs of several pieces of software is just too much of an investment. I will definitely take Qt into consideration the next time we start a new cross-platform project with a desktop application component. For Linux-only software I'll probably be sticking to pygtk simply because I like working with it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thaodan View Post
    Ok this is a large valid point but for new projects?
    Yes I guess for new projects it's probably a better option. Qt is probably better then wx in hindsight but at the time there were licensing issues (this was before PySide existed).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •