Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu Developers Plan HiDPI Work On GRUB, Plymouth

Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    I tried uvesafb and spend countless hours with it. Still couldn't get it to support anything higher than the VESA modes the Hardware Detection Tool of Syslinux lists for my motherboard.
    Did you have v86d and the kernel line set up correctly? Because it worked just fine for me, as I noted. I get native resolution Plymouth without the resolution being in VESA modes. This was on Gentoo (and using EFI GRUB2).

Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    I tried uvesafb and spend countless hours with it. Still couldn't get it to support anything higher than the VESA modes the Hardware Detection Tool of Syslinux lists for my motherboard.
    same problem with nvidia

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    I have had Nvidia (proprietary and open source), AMD (open source) and Intel graphics.
    But Plymouth have pretty much never worked.
    I agree. Remember when it was advertised to "fix" screen blinking on boot? And that it was going to make a "seemless" boot. Yeah..... that didn't play out so well.

Wow. I'd have thought most people here would prefer to ditch Plymouth -- I find scrolling boot text to be rather reassuring.

Quote Originally Posted by steveriley View Post
    Wow. I'd have thought most people here would prefer to ditch Plymouth -- I find scrolling boot text to be rather reassuring.
    You just hit Esc and you see your scrolling text if you think it's stuck. Otherwise Plymouth screens are nicer to look at.

I find that when ever a Windows user sees scrolling text on shut down (thanks Nvidia) of my system they go "OMG! OMG! BSOD you system it totally broken!".

Quote Originally Posted by AJenbo View Post
    I find that when ever a Windows user sees scrolling text on shut down (thanks Nvidia) of my system they go "OMG! OMG! BSOD you system it totally broken!".
    I have a different experience. I like it and everyone that sees it is more... well impressed. It's more like "yeah, matrix style" . Also with systemd booting until the *dm comes up and shutdown is only a few seconds. Nothing I really care about.

It's probably because it is printing on top of the purple screen, and at shutdown not much is going on, plus i have the display rotated 90 deg...

Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    You just hit Esc and you see your scrolling text if you think it's stuck. Otherwise Plymouth screens are nicer to look at.
    you can switch it on and off with the arrow keys