Valve Fixes Portal 2 To Work With SELinux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by plantroon View Post
    Idk why but Windows always seems cleaner than Linux to me. Performance-wise, Windows is much better for home use / gaming use. For development, Windows is a pita to even set up. Customization is also better on Linux. Since I'm not a developer and I have older hardware, Windows is 5 times faster in most scenarios. However, there are certain things that I really love about Linux... but there's only really few of them
    Blah, blah, blah. Windows is nightmare when comes to performance, so give me proofs or stop lying. My friend has EEE PC with Windows 7 preinstalled and she asked me to fix it or she will throw this shit out of the window($). Now she has Kubuntu running on it and she's surprised how fast Linux compared to Windows is. I could install something lighter, but even Kubuntu is ways faster than winblows.

Comment

How faster ?
      I compared the system responsivness when I had 2 vmware VMs running on Windows to the same thing on Linux. Windows was way more responsive, Linux even got stuck.

Another thing: Having 20 tabs open in Chrome leads to extreme lag when scrolling the websites and the rest of the system is not responsive. On Windows, no such thing occurs. I believe that this is caused by the poor Flash player suppot on Linux.

Btw, my Linux system had no swap on disk, I used zram or what it's called. On Windows I have pagefile enabled and it's still faster. I know how awesome Linux kernel is (but it's getting too bloated imho) .... but all the programs running on top of it are bad, buggy, slow... (Xorg yay...)

Comment

they also fixed multiplayer in this version. something to do with binding the controller to player one and not having any way of binding it to player two.
        if you compare portal 2 to any other game they released, almost every bug got fixed within a 2 week span, congrats to them

Comment

Originally posted by plantroon View Post
          How faster ?
          I compared the system responsivness when I had 2 vmware VMs running on Windows to the same thing on Linux. Windows was way more responsive, Linux even got stuck.

Another thing: Having 20 tabs open in Chrome leads to extreme lag when scrolling the websites and the rest of the system is not responsive. On Windows, no such thing occurs. I believe that this is caused by the poor Flash player suppot on Linux.

Btw, my Linux system had no swap on disk, I used zram or what it's called. On Windows I have pagefile enabled and it's still faster. I know how awesome Linux kernel is (but it's getting too bloated imho) .... but all the programs running on top of it are bad, buggy, slow... (Xorg yay...)
          I have my Windows 7 choking whenever I'm installing some software, but I can play games on Linux when upgrading the system. Linux has feature like KSM (Kernel SamePage Merging) which reduces memory usage by VMs, but it's sometimes CPU hungry. I bet most distros have this enabled by default (Ubuntu for example), but it's very easy to disable it. Flash could be a problem, because afaik it's not accelerated and xorg is another big problem, I agree. When comes to kernel it becomes more and more responsive and performant (the newest one should finally fix IO stalls issue) and merging of RT tree should bring a lot of good fruits as well. I wouldn't say the choice is equall to bloat, because you're not forced to use ten different file systems same time (but you can!).

Comment

Working...
          X