Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valve Fixes Portal 2 To Work With SELinux

Default Valve Fixes Portal 2 To Work With SELinux

Phoronix: Valve Fixes Portal 2 To Work With SELinux

Valve has fixed an issue with middle-ware used by Portal 2 so that on Linux users can now have SELinux enabled...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYzMTU

This is what makes Linux so support so difficult.

They might have fixed it for Selinux for now. But wait until the next policy 'update'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexilion View Post

They might have fixed it for Selinux for now. But wait until the next policy 'update'.
    Hey, it's something about MP3 support.

No, the default policy doesn't allow executable heap memory, something that the mp3 decoder in Source somehow did, and that isn't going to change any soon, I would say ever.

One should wonder why it was even working on other systems, I thought this kind of protection was pretty standard...

Yeah, poor widdle developers, having to comply with security policies... we should be more like windows, where they patch in the operating system full of hacks, spaghetti code and holes to compensate for all the stupidity and incompentence of 3rd-party developers!

Why the hell did they use MP3 in Portal 2? I thought vorbis was pretty standard in games even years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Calinou View Post
    Hey, it's something about MP3 support.
    Did you read the article?

Quote Originally Posted by r1348 View Post
    No, the default policy doesn't allow executable heap memory, something that the mp3 decoder in Source somehow did, and that isn't going to change any soon, I would say ever.
    Yeah, so I guess they either added a slow fallback or made a proper Selinux security marking.

Quote Originally Posted by r1348 View Post
    One should wonder why it was even working on other systems, I thought this kind of protection was pretty standard...
    Selinux is part of the kernel already. But as far as I know, only Redhat's distro's enable it along with properly maintained policy's. Gentoo has Selinux in their hardened profiles but that is not intended for everyone to use I think.

Quote Originally Posted by dee. View Post
    Yeah, poor widdle developers, having to comply with security policies... we should be more like windows, where they patch in the operating system full of hacks, spaghetti code and holes to compensate for all the stupidity and incompentence of 3rd-party developers!
    Leaked Windows source code has shown to be pretty cleanly written. Check your favorite torrent tracker for a tarball. This issue was caused by distribution enforcing more restrictive security measures. Instead of ignoring it the 3rd-party developers fixed it, which I consider a good thing and not a sign of stupidity and incompetence.

Idk why but Windows always seems cleaner than Linux to me. Performance-wise, Windows is much better for home use / gaming use. For development, Windows is a pita to even set up. Customization is also better on Linux. Since I'm not a developer and I have older hardware, Windows is 5 times faster in most scenarios. However, there are certain things that I really love about Linux... but there's only really few of them

Quote Originally Posted by plantroon View Post
    Idk why but Windows always seems cleaner than Linux to me. Performance-wise, Windows is much better for home use / gaming use. For development, Windows is a pita to even set up. Customization is also better on Linux. Since I'm not a developer and I have older hardware, Windows is 5 times faster in most scenarios. However, there are certain things that I really love about Linux... but there's only really few of them
    Hey dude enough with the details avalanche, could you please be more generic?

Selinux is part of the kernel already. But as far as I know, only Redhat's distro's enable it along with properly maintained policy's. Gentoo has Selinux in their hardened profiles but that is not intended for everyone to use I think.
    Yeah I knew that, I somehow took for granted that other security systems like AppArmor were enforcing a r/w-only heap memory policy, I was mistaken. Oh well, even happier to use Fedora.