No announcement yet.

Unity 7 Is Now My Desktop, Wins Over Xfce On HiDPI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm waiting for ElementaryOS Isis and the new elements of Pantheon Shell, like the new super wingpanel. It's what Gnome Shell should be.

Comment

i am

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
      Who the hell would buy a HIDPI notebook to use with linux? Good luck!
      i am, and it works just fine with ubuntu 14.04.

unity have a ui scale and things look good

Comment

like many ive been running KDE on "hidpi" laptop for like 3 or 4 years now, and its still the one that is the most seamless to me.
        oh and unity is what's "not suitable" for anyone's eyes imo haha.

in kde i use plasma, kwin, konsole and that's it. akonadi & stuff are disabled. its light and fast. i don't even have gl "acceleration".. i mean effects on... thats archlinux also.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
          Could somebody explain to me why DEs are actually resolution dependent?? I thought it doesn't matter since everything scales according to the resolution, like in games for example..?
          Games have the same issue, actually. One immediate example that comes to mind is Unreal:
          http://bazifan.ir/wp-content/uploads/unreal3tc9.jpeg ? low res
          http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9...1123003272.jpg ? high res
          Note how icons stay the same size. That's because they're bitmap images. You can scale them up, but they'll become blurry or pixelated because scaling up means creating pixels out of nothing. The only way around it is to remake all the UI elements in high definition as well. For a game that might be not that hard, but for desktop environments, that use hundreds of icons, it can be quite a daunting task. (KDE uses mostly SVG icons which are scalable, so it's not as problematic there).

Comment

fixubuntu.com

When using Unity, make sure to use the tweaks on https://fixubuntu.com/! I havn't tried these on 14.04 yet (I don't use Unity anymore), but think they should still work.

Comment

why so? i have no issue with that for years while running gnome, though.

Comment

Originally posted by alazar View Post
                I'm waiting for ElementaryOS Isis and the new elements of Pantheon Shell, like the new super wingpanel. It's what Gnome Shell should be.
                i was just looking on elementary os site but got very disapointed. more or less zero information about the os. i have no idea what actually elementary os is, what does it make different or even some technical stuff about the current release not even the release schedule plan.

that is the most uninformative os website i ever saw.

it is a nice looking but abolutely worthless website.

Comment

Michael, have you found the NoSquint plugin for Firefox yet? Quite simple (just sets a zoom factor), and much better than that about:config setting (which messes up the icons).

HiDPI flamewar: another happy user here - except that plugging a high DPI laptop into a low DPI external screen doesn't work well.

Comment

Originally posted by a user View Post
                    i was just looking on elementary os site but got very disapointed. more or less zero information about the os. i have no idea what actually elementary os is, what does it make different or even some technical stuff about the current release not even the release schedule plan.

that is the most uninformative os website i ever saw.

it is a nice looking but abolutely worthless website.
                    Because Elementry is all about it's UI, like most Ubuntu based distros.
                    The current version is based on 12.04 LTS, the next will probably based on 14.04 LTS.

Comment

If Linux lacks proper HiDPI support then ok, but there are dozens of reasons to use Linux instead of Os x or Windows. Just to name a few: superior security and performance.

Comment

Working...
                      X