Unity 7 Is Now My Desktop, Wins Over Xfce On HiDPI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ObiWan View Post
    Because Elementry is all about it's UI, like most Ubuntu based distros.
    The current version is based on 12.04 LTS, the next will probably based on 14.04 LTS.
    that doesn't justify or explain why it is a pain in the ass to get any infos about it. i had to look at other web site, writing about elmentary os to read what ubuntu version it is based on. wtf?

website should be informative about the product and their website is the worst regarding this i ever stumbled upon. they put a lot of work in making it look nice but zero make it usefull. doesn't make a good impression to me.

edit: even no screenshots seem to be available showing what makes it special, just a very bad and uninformative video.
    if you have a product show and explain what makes it special, why people should use it. never saw anyone failing so bad doing this.
    Last edited by a user; 16 March 2014, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
      as for web browser, how does google chrome do in that monster resolution?
      It doesn't. https://code.google.com/p/chromium/i...tail?id=143619

Comment

Is phoronix.com your blog? Why should I read you ended up with Unity 7? Are you serious about this?!

Comment

Originally posted by Onuca_V View Post
          Is phoronix.com your blog? Why should I read you ended up with Unity 7? Are you serious about this?!
          Says a new member with only 5 posts. (Not saying I'm not new myself, but I don't log in the forums just to be like, this isn't important to me! Give me stuff important to me!)

On topic, elementary OS is basically gnome Ubuntu, but really nice looking Gnome Ubuntu
          Last edited by profoundWHALE; 17 March 2014, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Actually, it is. Michael has stated several times that this is, among other things, his blog.

Comment

It's a linux/tech/benchmarking tabloid, just what are you really expecting?

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
                Says a new member with only 5 posts. (Not saying I'm not new myself, but I don't log in the forums just to be like, this isn't important to me! Give me stuff important to me!)
                Well, english is not my mother language so I get intimidated. In english I can state some opinions better than others but if it's not enough for me, I just don't confuse myself and give some guys an opportunity to discriminate. I know enough this forums to expect to be treated like a "new member with only five posts" or a "troll Unity/Canonical/Ubuntu hater". I don't think this news is not important, if Unity has a better support than Xfce for some feature on some hardware, you just write that. It simply sounds unprofessional for a website like this.

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                Actually, it is. Michael has stated several times that this is, among other things, his blog.
                Knowing this is not a serious website as I thought then it's fine. It's not the same a journalism web project than a personal matter oriented website. But I would expect to know from the first time I enter the site it can become sort of personal.

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                It's a linux/tech/benchmarking tabloid, just what are you really expecting?
                "Unity 7 performance is better than Xfce 4.10 handling (insert HiDPI capable hardware)". That's what I expected, now I know sometimes I'll get that and sometimes I won't.

Comment

Well, english is not my mother language so I get intimidated. In english I can state some opinions better than others but if it's not enough for me, I just don't confuse myself and give some guys an opportunity to discriminate. I know enough this forums to expect to be treated like a "new member with only five posts" or a "troll Unity/Canonical/Ubuntu hater". I don't think this news is not important, if Unity has a better support than Xfce for some feature on some hardware, you just write that. It simply sounds unprofessional for a website like this.
                  Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
                  Here's the problem with what you said.
                  First, I am literally just as new.
                  Second, you only have -now 6- posts and it just seems silly to log in just to ask why he has to read something on someone else's website.
                  Third, just because it isn't important to you, doesn't mean that it isn't important to others here.

There, that is literally what my post said. I wasn't trying to be discriminatory. Just keep in mind it's his site and to respect his right to do whatever he wants with it. Heck, he's the only one that actually has a linux news site that is, well, functioning, regularly updated, and overall, successful. That in itself deserves a little more respect.

Comment

I was wondering why nobody had mentioned NoSquint for Firefox either on this article or the previous one until someone finally did.

I don't have a really high DPI display. For my 15 inch 1680x1050 display I have found the DPI setting in XFCE plus NoSquint to be sufficient for everything except some Wine software. Wine doesn't seem to know much about DPI, but I haven't really looked into solving that because I don't really use anything in Wine that is too problematic.

There is alway Bodhi Linux for HiDPI setups. It's worked for the resolutions I've asked of it so far, but of course, I don't have any really high DPI hardware at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by CFWhitman View Post
                      Wine doesn't seem to know much about DPI, but I haven't really looked into solving that because I don't really use anything in Wine that is too problematic.
                      There's a DPI setting on the graphics tab of winecfg in case you haven't noticed. I have never touched it so no idea how well it works.

Comment

Working...
                      X