Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unity 7 Is Now My Desktop, Wins Over Xfce On HiDPI

Default Unity 7 Is Now My Desktop, Wins Over Xfce On HiDPI

Phoronix: Unity 7 Is Now My Desktop, Wins Over Xfce On HiDPI

In continuation of my OS X Is No Longer On My Main System, But I Already Have Regrets article from earlier in the week, I have now found more comfort in using Unity 7 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS for the ASUS Zenbook Haswell ultrabook, but the HiDPI experience with Ubuntu's Unity is still far from perfect...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYzMTM

Default KDE?

Michael, did you try KDE?

Quote Originally Posted by seedo View Post
    Michael, did you try KDE?
    KDE Plasma desktop is quite good at being resolution independent. Plasma 2 will be even better.

Yeah, give KDE a try. To my experience it did the best in scaling for my 15" fullHD screen.
    Also KDE IMO is the best and only "uncut" classic full blown desktop experience.

Why is this a news?
    And I changed my desktop to LXDE.

Default Why not Gnome?

Gnome is the only DE to me that has the sexy sleekness reminiscent of OSX... hopefully you can update us on how Gnome works on that display of yours.

Default Google Chrome?

Yeah, I have to second, or third the suggestion (or question) on KDE. It seems like Plasma is pretty scalable. Also, as for web browser, how does google chrome do in that monster resolution?

Now, regarding the eye strain, this is interesting. Having such a massive resolution on a relatively small screen is interesting: it'll make pictures look better, but you still want fonts to be similar size (but presumably better defined) than in a screen with similar size but smaller resolution. That's effectively what happens on cellphones. No surprise that Ubuntu's UI does well. And let me state one more time that I think Ubuntu's move into the mobile space was brilliant.

Cheers!

I have set scale to 120% as default in chrome, most sites are playing nice upscaled, but some rare ones are not usable at all.

KDE is the most slow on benchmarks and in my personal opinion is messy too..

Unity is the best choice between performance, productivity and optical result.

Quote Originally Posted by realcnbs View Post
    I have set scale to 120% as default in chrome, most sites are playing nice upscaled, but some rare ones are not usable at all.
    Could you please try my website to see if it works in yours? I want to make sure it works regardless of DPI.

http://graysonpeddie.com

Thanks.