Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apache Gets Booted From OpenBSD Base Over Being Too Bloated

Phoronix: Apache Gets Booted From OpenBSD Base Over Being Too Bloated

The Apache web server has been removed from the OpenBSD base operating system over being too bloated and server administrators are now being asked to switch to lighter-weight alternatives...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I, for one, would have preferred lighttpd; but I guess the OpenBSD devs had good reasons for their choice.

Comment

I think the OpenBSD crowd is a bunch of masturbating monkeys, in that they make such a big deal about concentrating on security to the point where they pretty much admit that nothing else matters to them.
      Linus Torvalds

Comment

BSDs are irrelevant, it becomes ever more often that if an app doesn't compile/run on a Unix OS which is neither Linux or Mac/iOS - take a hike. I never cared if my app runs on any BSD, even my Java apps.

Comment

See, that's why no one can take Linsux users serious.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
            BSDs are irrelevant, it becomes ever more often that if an app doesn't compile/run on a Unix OS which is neither Linux or Mac/iOS - take a hike. I never cared if my app runs on any BSD, even my Java apps.
            BSDs are not irrelevant in the server area.

Before saying something is irrelevant, have sources and think twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger_Coder View Post
              Linus Torvalds
              I'm not sure if this is a comment pro or against Linus, but anyway the citation make way more sense with the contest: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/706950

Comment

Does OpenBSD provide a migration tool for those who use Apache?

I'm using WordPress, OwnCloud, and Zarafa (MS Exchange-replacement) in my virtual private server.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
                  Does OpenBSD provide a migration tool for those who use Apache?

I'm using WordPress, OwnCloud, and Zarafa (MS Exchange-replacement) in my virtual private server.
                  It's still available on OpenBSD, even the version they were used (heavily enhanced Apache 1.3). It's just that now you need to get it from Packages or Ports rather than it being included as part of the system from the get-go.

Comment

Also, "migrating" from default Apache to default nginx is not much of an effort, right?

Comment

Working...
                    X