Valve's Direct3D-OpenGL Layer Will Likely Not Benefit Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mark_ View Post
    If nobody bitched about it, you probably still wouldn't write summaries after your 10 page testing orgies, so here is another one:
    First thing: Dude, learn your prepositions. Don't use "per"! You are pretty much the only person on this mudball who uses it (in every f* article!) and you're doing it wrong, which sickens my Asperger.
    If you write about articles without going into details (like in a passing mention), use "as per" or better "via" (or even better: cite! Use scholar.google.com and look how it is done) and if you point out stuff "in" other articles, forget your latin and use "in". Yeah... best forget your latin forever and always use "in". Or hire/marry a journalist/writer if you can't write..
    Please, take a look in what netiquette suggests you,

"When someone makes a mistake ? whether it's a spelling error or a spelling flame, a stupid question or an unnecessarily long answer ? be kind about it. If it's a minor error, you may not need to say anything. Even if you feel strongly about it, think twice before reacting.
    Private messages are your friends, think about it.

Thanks.

Comment

At this point, Wine's D3D to OpenGL is as good as it gets. It just needs bugs fixes from here on out. But there should be focus on the Direct3D state tracker. There's no good reason why this shouldn't be the next big step for Wine, other then increased compatibility.

Comment

The Gallium Direct3D state tracker would only benefit a small portion of the wine users. (if there are benefits at all)

Improving performance of direct3d to opengl benefits all users.

Comment

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
          ToGL does the same, check page 22 and 23[?]. I think the point from TheSoulz was that Wine has to translate more (all the Windows APIs). Also my question from here[?] (why does Valve release a stripped-down version optimized for Dota 2 instead of the full source) still stands.

[?] https://developer.nvidia.com/sites/d...to%20Linux.pdf
          [?] http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...066#post404066
          Yes and no. ToGL works at compile time, and Wine works at run-time.
          Pretty much, with ToGL you write your code using the direct3d api, but instead of having a "#include "d3d9.h" you have a "#include "togl.h" that provides the same functions, but implemented with OpenGL. The only overhead here is that OpenGL and DirectX don't map 1:1, so there might be some inefficiency.
          Also yes, as you say, Wine has to do tons of extra works. The best example is that ToGL only covers Direct3d, but DirectX is much more (sound, input, helpers). Valve is using SDL so it's not a problem for them, but it is for many other programs.

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
          ToGL benefiting Wine? Who the hell comes up with that kind of nonsense?
          Also, unless your Direct3D engine targets the decade old 9.0c the way Valve does to support WinXP users, ToGL is of absolutely no use to you. The code drop in general was merely "for reference"; as already mentioned, it is optimized only for the API usages the Source engine has and was never meant to be a complete 9.0c implementation.
          The hope is always that newer games will feature a native opengl port - instead this could help with old games, where publisher don't want to spend much time on (In reality, I doubt it will get used by anyone but valve, and maybe some community port).
          And while it was written with the Source engine in mind, I'm sure it's easier to adapt this than writing a new solution or porting a whole game/engine from direct3d to opengl.

Comment

Originally posted by ObiWan View Post
            The Gallium Direct3D state tracker would only benefit a small portion of the wine users. (if there are benefits at all)

Improving performance of direct3d to opengl benefits all users.
            I thought it's been proven that the state tracker is considerably faster? Also, majority of what wine users? Mac? Binary drivers? Not good reasons not to adopt the state tracker.

Comment

Originally posted by Spittie View Post
              ToGL works at compile time
              Are you sure about that? Why is it that the games ship with libtogl.so, the slides tell it happens inside a library (so at runtime) and I remember somebody from either Valve or Nvidia telling it works at runtime then?

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                ToGL benefiting Wine? Who the hell comes up with that kind of nonsense?
                Exactly. Per the article: "While there was some hope that it would benefit Wine, that doesn't appear to be the case." According to whom? The author, just now? This is poor journalism.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
                  good shape wine diretx9.0? i have diferent opinion, when it works it works bad, really bad, really bad fps. valve port games? well they work well very well, i miss something here?
                  Sorry for you man, but with a recent Nvidia, when it works, it works as in windows.

Comment

Working...
                  X