Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: Valve Is Showing Off A New Steam Controller

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    470

    Default

    Imagine Steve Ballmer working at Apple and arguing the that iPad needs more buttons. This is similar to the direction Value has gone with the Steambox Controller. Started impressive and innovative, now they're pushing in the buttons. CRAZY.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    780

    Default

    They needed an input device that could replace a mouse/keyboard combination. The touchpads were meant to do exactly that.

    Turns out they also need an input device that can replace a gamepad. So buttons it is.


    The touchscreen wasn't innovative, it was a gimmick. Little screens on gamepads have been done before (dreamcast, anyone?), and they never worked out. If you need to pass information to the player, use a HUD.

    But you can partition the touchscreen to emulate buttons, right? Nope. Only in theory. The touchscreen has no tactile feedback. If you think you can consistently hit a 5mm sized button without feeling where it is, you're wrong. Unlike a phone or tablet, you're not looking at the controller, you're looking at your TV. To support all the existing games with gamepad support, you need a proper gamepad, not a touchscreen gimmick.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rohcQaH View Post
    Turns out they also need an input device that can replace a gamepad. So buttons it is.
    I don't agree. It's a Steve Ballmer moment.

    With the sense pads and the LCD touch screen they could do all. The buttons are simply ignorance moving in.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by e8hffff View Post
    With the sense pads and the LCD touch screen they could do all. The buttons are simply ignorance moving in.
    Buttons will be a lot better if you're playing games using oculus rift because you won't be able to look at the touchscreen.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxjen View Post
    Buttons will be a lot better if you're playing games using oculus rift because you won't be able to look at the touchscreen.
    The point I'm making is that you can simulate buttons with the sense-pads. The touch screen, even though usable and interactive, I wouldn't be expecting games to use it for action buttons in games.

    Think outside the square. We don't need buttons when we have sense-pads, not to mention there is already buttons that surrounded the corners of the LCD in the original design.


  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    470

    Default


  7. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by e8hffff View Post
    The LCD also playing into the course of heads-up at the player's hand. Similar to WiiU controller (yeah I know it wasn't popular a console.) LCD's are dirt cheap at the size originally shown.
    A reason the WiiU isn't popular is because of the split viewing having to yank your head back and forth between the big screen and something sitting in your lap. It's really not as useful a paradigm as people might think. As I mentioned earlier there's already 2 touchpads on the controller. Why do you really need a 3rd?

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bnolsen View Post
    A reason the WiiU isn't popular is because of the split viewing having to yank your head back and forth between the big screen and something sitting in your lap. It's really not as useful a paradigm as people might think. As I mentioned earlier there's already 2 touchpads on the controller. Why do you really need a 3rd?

    My perspective is that you use the LCD to select controller configurations, and maybe could be used for game interaction if a Game-Developer could make it innovative.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by e8hffff View Post
    The point I'm making is that you can simulate buttons with the sense-pads. The touch screen, even though usable and interactive, I wouldn't be expecting games to use it for action buttons in games.
    Ahh, the sense pads are the circles on the side. I thought you meant the buttons should be simulated by the touchscreen. Now your replies seem a lot more logical. So you say the sense pads are superior to regular buttons. I agree that at least for walking around the pad on the left is superior than the directional keys. And it is probably possible for creative game designers to utilize the continuous range of the pads for awesome stuff that isn't possible with traditional buttons.

    However, I think that in most of the time games will want discrete actions that don't flow into each other and there real buttons just feel better.

    Quote Originally Posted by e8hffff View Post
    Think outside the square. We don't need buttons when we have sense-pads, not to mention there is already buttons that surrounded the corners of the LCD in the original design.
    Ye, but four buttons on each side are better than two.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    341

    Default

    It's hard for us to compare without actually having both controllers in our hands, but I can see the reasoning behind this move. The problem with a touchscreen is that you have to look at it before being able to make the correct click, whereas with hardware buttons you can do that quickly while staring at the TV. I highly doubt the change is to cut costs. The cost of a tiny LCD that is probably not even colored is really low.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •