Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Is Showing Off A New Steam Controller

Phoronix: Valve Is Showing Off A New Steam Controller

One week ahead of the Game Developers Conference, Valve has a new Steam Controller...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Seriously? The first prototypes with the touchscreen looked really inovative, but this one? Well, one image says more than thousand words:

Comment

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
      Seriously? The first prototypes with the touchscreen looked really inovative, but this one? Well, one image says more than thousand words:

Simple reason it's to provide good compability with games that already work with the most popular controller the xbox 360 gamepad.
      It's seems a bit cheesy but I for one think its the right thing to do!

Comment

Same as SNES, Dreamcast, PS, PS2, PS3, PS4, XBOX, XBOX360, XBOX ONE. Seems to work for all of them, why change it But you somehow missed the huge difference, the analog "sticks", the shape and the layout of these controls.

Comment

The #1 feature of the Steam Controller are the touchpads, and nothing has changed with the new layout. The Xbox-style buttons aren't neccessary for all games, but nice to have anyways.

Also Michael, if you run into Valve guys (which you probably will), ask them about a CS: GO status update :-)

Comment

The new design is based on "consumer feedback". People hate change, so it's going to look similar as similar to current controllers as valve will allow.
            I personally liked the first design better.

Comment

i like this controller. you already have 2 touchpads, why a 3rd? I just hope they dpad one set of the buttons although that might kill the ambi controls.

Comment

Innovative does not equal good. Some innovations are just crap.

That actually looks really good! Discrete buttons for the d-pad - hell yes! What a great idea! Who cares that playstation 1 did it first, it's still a great idea, ps has always had the best controllers around so if you're going to copycat someone, you could do much worse.

Comment

Much prefer the original design they promoted. This one with no LCD and old style 2 x 4 button diamond array, I would NOT purchase.

Do they really understand the importance of standards? If they release hicklety pickle standards then gamers will not be measured between each other for talent as it will come down to what controllers they have.
                  Last edited by e8hffff; 15 March 2014, 02:27 AM.

Comment

I don't get this whole controller thing tbh. They are using off-the-shelf parts for hardware and software, could also go with XBOX or PS controller derivatives. Wasting time on their own controller seems like some pointless marketing/signature idea.

Comment

Working...
                    X