Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shuttleworth On Google Go, Unity 8, Ubuntu Phone, Etc

Hybrid View

Default Shuttleworth On Google Go, Unity 8, Ubuntu Phone, Etc

Phoronix: Shuttleworth On Google Go, Unity 8, Ubuntu Phone, Etc

At this week's virtual Ubuntu Developer Summit besides saying Mir will be the default on the Ubuntu desktop by 16.04 LTS and also saying systemd will be used when it's hardened (again by the 16.04 LTS time-frame) Mark had some other interesting comments...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYyOTE

Smile

The best mobile web browser so far is Maemo's MicroB. I'd love to see Ubuntu try and beat that

inb4 Mark hate

To any and all developers that happen to dislike Mark, what if you had a project near and dear to you and you got nothing but praise from it, all of a sudden, someone dismissed it as something that wasn't all that great? That'd probably make a pretty big impact on you over the hundreds or thousands of people you've gotten praise from. You'd also have a bias towards something you've made from the ground up (yeah I know, Debian came before Ubuntu), but people should've realized from the beginning that Ubuntu was NEVER to cater to FOSS hippies or anyone like that.

That's not why people don't like Mark. It's because he wastes everyone's time and efforts all of the time. For instance, the wayland debacle wouldn't have been so bad had it been known that Mir was in creation and not spread FUD about Wayland. That alone was childish. It's grown on his reputation.

Moving to a rolling release modell for the non-LTS releases would be the best thing to ever happen to Ubuntu. The non-LTS releases are simply idiotic there is no other way to say it. I visited a friend the other day who runs Ubuntu on two of his laptops. We wanted to play something so I suggested installig Hedgewars the open-source Worms clone. So we both installed it but couldn't find each others game. We then figured out that we are on two different versions, because of the silly 6 month release cycle. So we had to fiddle around with launchpad to find the backport package for that specific version of Ubuntu and fiddle around with dpkg. It boggles my mind how people can call something like that a user friendly Linux distro.

Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    Moving to a rolling release modell for the non-LTS releases would be the best thing to ever happen to Ubuntu. The non-LTS releases are simply idiotic there is no other way to say it. I visited a friend the other day who runs Ubuntu on two of his laptops. We wanted to play something so I suggested installig Hedgewars the open-source Worms clone. So we both installed it but couldn't find each others game. We then figured out that we are on two different versions, because of the silly 6 month release cycle. So we had to fiddle around with launchpad to find the backport package for that specific version of Ubuntu and fiddle around with dpkg. It boggles my mind how people can call something like that a user friendly Linux distro.
    That's a problem with Hedgewars, not Ubuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by litfan View Post
    That's a problem with Hedgewars, not Ubuntu.
    Surely you're not advocating devs having to package for every distro?

A game changing its online protocol is quite common.

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    Surely you're not advocating devs having to package for every distro?

A game changing its online protocol is quite common.
    No, changing the online protocol is not common, nor is it smart. Especially if its peer to peer and not controlled by a game server in between

Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    No Ubuntu simply should ship the latest version fo all their releases. Problem solved. It just dosen't make any logical sense that it should install 0.17 for one version of Ubuntu 0.19 for another and 0.20 on the latest version. It's just a fucking game give me the latest version when I install it.
    That's one of the advantages of click packages.

Michael,

I know that Mark gets a lot more clicks than other boring linux stories, but is it possible to give this imbecile a little less press while giving the Debian guys a little more? There's plenty of nerd drama to be had in their camp, it's just that you need to be creative when creating/portraying the characters since they're not rich.

We're reaching the point where Ubuntu's largest contribution to the linux community is that they're the foundation upon which Mint is built. Once Mint fully converts to Debian, we can all sit back and talk about what could-have-been had Mark not been such a shitlord.