Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GLAMOR Patch Bomb Can Boost Some Operations By 700~800%

Phoronix: GLAMOR Patch Bomb Can Boost Some Operations By 700~800%

Eric Anholt at Intel OTC continues investing great amounts of time recently on improving the GLAMOR acceleration code that was merged into the X.Org Server for speeding up 2D acceleration using OpenGL. Eric is out this week with a set of 27 patches for review pertaining to this code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: GLAMOR Patch Bomb Can Boost Some Operations By 700~800%

Eric Anholt at Intel OTC continues investing great amounts of time recently on improving the GLAMOR acceleration code that was merged into the X.Org Server for speeding up 2D acceleration using OpenGL. Eric is out this week with a set of 27 patches for review pertaining to this code...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYyODU
    And absolute change is what? From 2 to 12 fps average

Comment

Thank you based eric

Comment

Originally posted by NSLW View Post
        And absolute change is what? From 2 to 12 fps average
        Eh, GLAMOR isn't that bad. But, that would still be an impressive improvement regardless.

I look forward to the results.

Comment

Anyone able to get GLAMOR working on Evergreen with KWin?

Comment

If I remember right, on the GLAMOR benchmark done without any of these patches, GLAMOR was running between 40-80% of Intels SNA/UNA.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Eh, GLAMOR isn't that bad.
              It is that bad for basic X11 drawings, just XRender drawings are accelerated fine.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                Anyone able to get GLAMOR working on Evergreen with KWin?
                Yup, I got it working fine. Maybe check your xorg.conf? It should be enabled by default but something is probably conflicting with it. I'm currently running Arch 64 bit.

If you're getting issues where compositing effects randomly don't work, I've noticed that problem seems to have gone away in the 4.13 update.

Comment

So are there any easy ways to test these out once they get committed ? It seemed when Glamor was a standalone lib it would be easier to update/release versions faster - do we really now either have to wait for a new Xorg release, or build the entire X server from git?

Comment

Michael, test those claims. Benchmarks! Benchmarks! Benchmarks!

PS: I'm really interested because openSUSE enables glamor for all OSS drivers (and hopefully openSUSE 13.2 will perform better)

Comment

Working...
                    X