Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Shuttleworth: Mir By Default In Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Phoronix: Mark Shuttleworth: Mir By Default In Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Delays keep piling up for the Mir display server on the Ubuntu desktop. After already being postponed multiple times, the Mir Display Server might not be enabled by default on the Ubuntu Linux desktop until the 16.04 LTS release -- in two years time...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good decision. No point in abusing your userbase as guineapigs.

Comment

16.04? i guess wayland already won ^^

Comment

I wonder if part of the delay is making Mir Wayland compliant. Which of course they could have done from the first.

Comment

they are too slow in development...

Comment

Just like the Wayland preview for Ubuntu 12.04, Wayland by default in Ubuntu 12.10 and Mir by default in Ubuntu 13.10, right?
            Mark just loves to do big announcements, it doesn't matter if he isn't probably even involved in the development process, and so he doesn't know the current status...

Seeing their record track, I think that Canonical will jump on a different ship (Like they did for upstart), or that Mir will not be ready for Ubuntu 16.04. That said, only time will tell.

EDIT: after re-reading the post, I realize that Michael already linked those/similar articles, and I feel silly. My point still applies.
            Last edited by Spittie; 12 March 2014, 09:00 PM.

Comment

At what point do they realise it'll be better/cheaper/faster to just give up on Mir and go back to Wayland? With a project as controversial as this (and with all the delays) do they really want to commit to debuting it in an LTS release?

Comment

Originally posted by gigaplex View Post
                At what point do they realise it'll be better/cheaper/faster to just give up on Mir and go back to Wayland? With a project as controversial as this (and with all the delays) do they really want to commit to debuting it in an LTS release?
                Canonical is rudderless. Shuttleworth is a clueless idiot that thinks his company IS Linux. He's given up on free software and wants to do everything in house until such a time as he can control the market and close the source up. He's a control freak Steve Jobs wannabe.

I personally cant wait til they go under. The sooner the better.

Comment

The Linux community just hates anything which is popular, doesn't it... Ubuntu is making a display server which is open source so I don't see the problem with it.
                  Have privacy issues? You can turn off the internet searching
                  Gnome is terrible, KDE's design feels like it was made by a 7 year old in paint. The only thing which is usable is cinnamon and unity
                  Unity may not be the most functional for a power user but it is great for the generic user. Personally I use heavily themed KDE
                  Last edited by lolnope; 12 March 2014, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nll_a
                    Actual control freaks can't handle other people doing their own thing instead of kneeling down to their enlightened wishes, and hoping for an open source company to go broke is just downright psychopathic.

Hell, there must be something wrong with the Phoronix Forums water. What a horrible place to hang out.
                    Look up the world psychopathic. It doesn't mean what you think it means. Idiot.

Comment

Working...
                    X