Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 52

Thread: Mark Shuttleworth: Mir By Default In Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benalib View Post
    mir/unity is phone/tablet oriented
    we will see mir-powered phones/tablets next year
    who thinks that wayland/gnome is suitable for phones is an idiot
    and anyway in 2016 desktop will be dead
    Wayland-powered phones are being sold right now : http://www.jolla.com/

    We can't say the same for the Mir ones yet.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benalib View Post
    mir/unity is phone/tablet oriented
    we will see mir-powered phones/tablets next year
    who thinks that wayland/gnome is suitable for phones is an idiot
    and anyway in 2016 desktop will be dead
    No, just no. Unity also targets the desktop and the desktop certainly isn't dead and won't be soon, even "tower" PCs.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    28

    Default Why do you keep comparing Mir to Wayland?

    Mir = protocol agnostic display server. This means, it can support X11, Wayland, or something else. Is there a Mir protocol?
    Wayland = protocol

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lolnope View Post
    Unity may not be the most functional for a power user
    Unity is a wonderful shell for power users, or at least keyboard-driven power users. I'm completely hooked on it by now.

    Quote Originally Posted by litfan View Post
    Look up the world psychopathic. It doesn't mean what you think it means. Idiot.
    You obviously don't know what I think it means.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dee. View Post
    Seems to me that Canonical doesn't really understand open source.
    It's funny that the ones who compare Canonical and Shuttleworth to Apple and Jobs are the same ones who think they are entitled to tell people what is The Right Way to Workę. In open source, people do whatever they feel is right for them, and no one has the right to tell anyone how to do shit. There's no open source bible.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dee.
    Seems to me that Canonical doesn't really understand open source. They're constantly missing out on the main benefits of open source, they think it's just a convenient way to get code developed for their inhouse solutions. In short, they're trying too much to be like Apple, but without having all the money, massive resources for r&d, their own hardware line, etc... And even Apple is fading already, even with their huge resources - so why does Canonical, a small company that can't even afford to release a phone without a crowdsourcing campaign, think they can succeed with the same strategy? It's just plain foolishness with possibly streaks of megalomania.
    Seconded. (Y)

    Quote Originally Posted by nll_a
    It's funny that the ones who compare Canonical and Shuttleworth to Apple and Jobs are the same ones who think they are entitled to tell people what is The Right Way to Workę. In open source, people do whatever they feel is right for them, and no one has the right to tell anyone how to do shit. There's no open source bible.
    no

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
    Seconded. (Y)


    no
    Wow, how eloquent those who follow The One True Way« are! Color me impressed!

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nll_a View Post
    Wow, how eloquent those who follow The One True Way« are! Color me impressed!
    I do not intend to waste my words and time on obvious relations.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benalib View Post
    and anyway in 2016 desktop will be dead
    Very unlikely. That's like saying, "by 2016 refrigerators will be dead."

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    339

    Default

    When Canonical saw Wayland taking long time they thought they can do better. Are they starting to realize now that it's not an easy job, or they are still thinking they can do better than the Wayland camp?
    Wayland on the mobile is already in the market (Jolla), and on the desktop it's already in preview. By the time 16.04 is released Wayland will probably be a reality already. Canonical has clearly taken the wrong path and they need to correct it soon instead of throwing their money down the drain.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •