Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: NVIDIA Dropping Pre-Fermi GPUs From Their Mainline Linux Driver

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,125

    Default NVIDIA Dropping Pre-Fermi GPUs From Their Mainline Linux Driver

    Phoronix: NVIDIA Dropping Pre-Fermi GPUs From Their Mainline Linux Driver

    NVIDIA will be removing all support for graphics processors prior to the GeForce 400 "Fermi" series from their mainline Linux graphics driver...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYyODA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Israel, Tel-Avil
    Posts
    73

    Default Awesome

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: NVIDIA Dropping Pre-Fermi GPUs From Their Mainline Linux Driver

    NVIDIA will be removing all support for graphics processors prior to the GeForce 400 "Fermi" series from their mainline Linux graphics driver...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYyODA
    Last reason to use NVIDIA disappeared.
    Not that I use nvidia drivers of course, I use awesome nouveau drivers instead

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,601

    Default

    That makes sense. I thought they'd do that in their last drop, but apparently they had these mainline until now. So now Catalyst and NVIDIA blobs will be equal as to the range of cards supported (but then AMD might drop non-SI hardware sometime soonish).

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    195

    Default

    I have to admit that selecting RadeonHD 4890 over Geforce GTX275 was the best decision in my life

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    6,641

    Default

    Well, Nvidia is very slow currently, they don't support kernel 3.13/3.14 directly or very late. I can understand that they drop support for DX 10 cards for latest drivers, AMD did that step long ago (fglrx only supports DX11 chips in current releases). Basically when there would be always a current driver that does NOT need extra patches it does not matter so much how many different drivers you need. But it really sucks, when you need to patch every driver on your own, packaging new drivers is faster.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    149

    Default

    it was quite expected.. supporting such old harware with new drivers is a mess. better improve drivers for new cards to squeeze out max from them.
    legacy drivers are still gonna be updated, so those who use those old cards dont have to be dissapointed.

    i think that decision has come with the gaming perfromance in mind, specialy steamboxes and the like.. nobody sane would use anything older for gaming anyway.
    less bloat in drivers and less overhead probably.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    50

    Default

    I have Geforce 330M - so now I schould switch to the 304.119 drivers? And what about 8XXX series - 304.119 driver is good for it too?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    62

    Default

    No, read the article. Release 340 drivers will be the legacy drivers for all Nvidia 8/9/100/200/300 series GPUs.

    Release 340 will be out sometime in the future. Current latest drivers is Release 334.

    Quote Originally Posted by siavashserver View Post
    I have to admit that selecting RadeonHD 4890 over Geforce GTX275 was the best decision in my life
    More like worst decision, Nvidia supports GTX 275 until 2016 where as AMD already dropped driver support for HD4000, but I guess you don't seem to understand that.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GT220 View Post
    More like worst decision, Nvidia supports GTX 275 until 2016 where as AMD already dropped driver support for HD4000, but I guess you don't seem to understand that.
    The open source radeon driver supports the HD4xxx cards quite nicely though. Not having the binary blobs for those is really a non-issue anymore.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Arctic circle, Finland
    Posts
    298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dragonn View Post
    I have Geforce 330M - so now I schould switch to the 304.119 drivers? And what about 8XXX series - 304.119 driver is good for it too?
    Like gt220 said there will be legacy 340-driver which will support it. I wonder though what will be optimus support in legacy driver, will it have updates from mainline.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •