No announcement yet.

OS X Is No Longer On My Main System, But I Already Have Regrets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with the use what you want sentiment. This past weekend I tried installing 5 Linux distros and none of them worked from the get go, ie stuck at fully populating /dev, problems with amixer, hard crashes on shutdown due to pulseaudio etc etc, FreeBSD and Solaris based OSs work fine however so certainly not a hardware issue.

Linux simply sucks for desktop usage.

Comment

Originally posted by jukkan View Post
      It goes both ways.. just because you don't have problems, doesn't mean it's unproblematic for everyone. Not saying you even implied that, just talking out loud here.
      Let say one builds a hackintosh, would he buy an OS X and just flash it on random hardware, and after go to amazon and order a random FPS game? Well no, one has to consider hardware compatibility, and possibilities of a system. The same applies for Linux.

Comment

New site design

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: OS X Is No Longer On My Main System, But I Already Have Regrets
        Oh, that explains why the new design of Phoronix.com has such huge fonts, like for blind people: retina screen.

People with non-retina screen have to zoom out. It is good that Google Chrome remembers the zoom level for each web-site.

Comment

Originally posted by reCAPTCHA View Post
          Let say one builds a hackintosh, would he buy an OS X and just flash it on random hardware, and after go to amazon and order a random FPS game? Well no, one has to consider hardware compatibility, and possibilities of a system. The same applies for Linux.
          'Edit'
          Even then problems are possible, for variety of reasons. Some 7 years ago, only distribution which worked well on my system was Slackware. Fedora wouldn't even install. After some time, when I stared using Gentoo, I noticed the compalation fails when occupied RAM exceeds one GB or so. Tested RAM, and found lot of errors. And of course there are always software bugs, more or less. I never said my setup is perfect, but it is ok.

Comment

Michael, I have had reasonable success with setting DPI under Xfce with xrandr -dpi and xrdb into ~/.Xdefaults, as well as changing Xfce's appearance DPI settings. This combination seems to satisfy GTK[23] and Qt apps happily. Chrome is a pain in the arse and completely ignores it. (or at least it did back when I cared about Chrome)
            I fully agree that having to do this manually is one of many blights on the Linux desktop experience, but at least it should get you out of trouble in the meantime.

Comment

That's an universal truth, no OS does everything very well. However, for the average person with consumerish use cases, like watching netflix or playing the newest Battlefield, Windows is the obvious choice. To a software developer, Linux could be the obvious choice because of the good availability of tools. At this point the only OS that has good dpi scaling is OSX.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                I don't know about OSX, but Windows 8.1 are actually quite good. After 5 years of using ArchLinux only, with various DEs, i grew tired of Linux on my main desktop and put Windows 8.1 on it. And i am really happy

There is no single DE that is both usable/stable and powerful/feature-complete enough. And appearence-wise, ALL suck.
                Dude, you willingly use windows 8, you have NO business criticizing the appearance of any DE. You obviously have eye cancer and brain syphilis.

Comment

I am joining the choir, continue fiddling around or use a desktop which caters to hidpi screens. I assume that leaves you with Gnome or KDE these days. The status for KDE was summed up here (not sure how up-to-date the list is):

Ubuntu is fine. However, I am well into the process of converting all my machines over to Debian (three down, three to go). It *is* more of a hassle, but the MIR ordeal simply pushed me over the edge.

Comment

Doesn't work for you [...]? Just shut up, [...] because it works perfectly for me.
                    That one's impressive.

Comment

AFAIK, Gnome Shell supports automagic rescalling of UI elements. Perhaps you should try it for a bit, Michael. With a couple of extensions it may even suit you best (check https://extensions.gnome.org).

Comment

Working...
                      X