Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systemd 211 Piles On More Changes

Phoronix: Systemd 211 Piles On More Changes

Not too long after systemd 210, the next systemd release is now available and with it comes plenty more changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by core: add new RestrictAddressFamilies= switch
    This new unit settings allows restricting which address families are available to processes. This is an effective way to minimize the attack surface of services, by turning off entire network stacks for them.

This is based on seccomp, and does not work on x86-32, since seccomp cannot filter socketcall() syscalls on that platform.
    Hopefully it will gracefully fall back if a shipped systemD file that uses this is being used on a x86-32 platform.

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
      Hopefully it will gracefully fall back if a shipped systemD file that uses this is being used on a x86-32 platform.
      From what I understand, shouldn't the syscall be fixed to provide the same feature on x86_32 and x86_64 ?

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
        From what I understand, shouldn't the syscall be fixed to provide the same feature on x86_32 and x86_64 ?
        Maybe, maybe not.

But I guess this is how the decay of an architecture begins. On the other side, PaX + Grsecurity is much better on x86_32.

Comment

It seems that now one can boot without an /etc/fstab file, systemd will automagically find the various partitions and mount them: https://plus.google.com/+LennartPoet...ts/5p1QuhdFtjN

I do wonder how it would handle mount flags?

Comment

Originally posted by Spittie View Post
            It seems that now one can boot without an /etc/fstab file, systemd will automagically find the various partitions and mount them: https://plus.google.com/+LennartPoet...ts/5p1QuhdFtjN

Yeah, have fun with that on a remote system when systemd does that wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Spittie View Post
              I'm pretty sure it doesn't. That's what /etc/fstab is (still) for. (Or perhaps you can edit some unit files that mount the partitions.)

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                I'm pretty sure it doesn't. That's what /etc/fstab is (still) for. (Or perhaps you can edit some unit files that mount the partitions.)
                That would be bad.

So, place your bets: When will the mount utility be assimiled? 6 months? 1 year? 2 years?

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
                  That would be bad.

So, place your bets: When will the mount utility be assimiled? 6 months? 1 year? 2 years?
                  One of the reasons behind that features is
                  This is important since Linux containers generally cannot manage their own block devices and rely on the container manager to set up all file systems correctly. Or to say this with different words: this will soon enable us to deploy and boot OS images created with generic installers like Anaconda without any change in container managers such as nspawn and libvirt-lxc. The disk images Anaconda generates will become truly portable between containerized and non-containerized setups!
                  That said, looks like if you have an fstab file it overrules the automagically behaviour. So for what you are complaining about?

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                    Yeah, have fun with that on a remote system when systemd does that wrong.
                    That makes no sense. On a remote system which isn't an appliance, any server admin can just rely on /etc/fstab and not use this feature at all.

Comment

Working...
                    X