Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many R600/RadeonSI Gallium3D Changes Land

Phoronix: Many R600/RadeonSI Gallium3D Changes Land

Marek Ol??k has pushed today to Mesa Git master a large number of RadeonSI Gallium3D driver changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looking forward to test my new ASUS R9 270X soon
    Thanks for the hard work!

Comment

The Radeon open source drivers are now so good that aside from OpenGL 4 stuff, the only thing missing for me is fan control. I'd switch from Catalyst immediately if it would drop the card's fan speed to its minimum when idle. The card's default BIOS-set fan speed drives me nuts when I'm trying to work.

Comment

Originally posted by ricequackers View Post
        The Radeon open source drivers are now so good that aside from OpenGL 4 stuff, the only thing missing for me is fan control. I'd switch from Catalyst immediately if it would drop the card's fan speed to its minimum when idle. The card's default BIOS-set fan speed drives me nuts when I'm trying to work.
        Ditto. In fact, now, with the latest Fedora updates and supplemental repos, I now have hardware video decoding in Chrome 35, with the free R600 drivers. This is impossible with Catalyst, AFAIK.

Comment

Originally posted by ricequackers View Post
          you can do that with the radeon-profile tool. its a nice gui to change power profiles

for suse its here:

source
          Application to read current clocks of ATi Radeon cards (xf86-video-ati, xf86-video-amdgpu) - marazmista/radeon-profile

don?t know about other distros....

Comment

Never seen a fan speed setting in radeon-profile.

Some vendors set, set a very high minimum fan speed in the bios (like 70%), catalyst overwrites this and sets a more sane minimum fan speed.
            But the opensource radeon driver uses the bios settings.

On older radeons you could flash the bios with a better minimum fan settings, but on newer cards that doesn't really work anymore.

Comment

If this is a blocker you could use a physical fan control for now

Originally posted by ObiWan View Post

Some vendors set, set a very high minimum fan speed in the bios (like 70%), catalyst overwrites this and sets a more sane minimum fan speed.
              But the opensource radeon driver uses the bios settings.

On older radeons you could flash the bios with a better minimum fan settings, but on newer cards that doesn't really work anymore.
              I would not switch to a closed driver just to avoid using a manual fan control on a machine nobody else uses.

Comment

Originally posted by ObiWan View Post
                Blame the radeon devs' stupid attitude to not propose manual fan control. The proprietary NVIDIA driver has an opt-in setting for that... and no free driver has that. Freedom is about control, yet they answer "but people may break their cards, they're all stupid".

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
                  you can do that with the radeon-profile tool. its a nice gui to change power profiles

for suse its here:

source
                  Application to read current clocks of ATi Radeon cards (xf86-video-ati, xf86-video-amdgpu) - marazmista/radeon-profile

don?t know about other distros....
                  It's not the same thing - power profiles and other power management methods are obsolete now that we have fully functioning DPM. Power management on my 7970 with DPM on under the open drivers is flawless - it stays at idle clock speeds when idling and it stays cool. My point was that despite the low temperatures, it doesn't drop the card's fan speed to its minimum the way Catalyst does, so even while sitting at the desktop and idling at 35C, the fan still whirrs at 35% speed instead of the 20% that Catalyst sets it to.

Worse, there doesn't appear to be any way to programmatically adjust the fan speed. A simple /sys interface would allow me to write a shell script to manage it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                    Blame the radeon devs' stupid attitude to not propose manual fan control. The proprietary NVIDIA driver has an opt-in setting for that... and no free driver has that. Freedom is about control, yet they answer "but people may break their cards, they're all stupid".
                    Is opensource, if you want this, you can code it.

Comment

Working...
                    X