Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Gallium3D Tiling Turned Back On For "CIK" GPUs

Phoronix: Radeon Gallium3D Tiling Turned Back On For "CIK" GPUs

AMD disabled tiling support by default recently for their newer GCN-based graphics cards on the open-source AMD Linux driver. Fortunately, that performance-boosting feature has been turned back on now for the latest Radeon graphics cards under the assumption you are running Mesa 10.1...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For clarity, this is the first time tiling has been enabled by default for CI parts.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
      For clarity, this is the first time tiling has been enabled by default for CI parts.
      I think Michael was thinking of Hyper-Z then maybe?
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Oh and Alex, quick question for ya. First off, big thanks to you, deathplane, Marek, and everyone else working on the R300g, R600G, RSI drivers

One thing thats puzzled me though, not about code but about development model. When the RadeonSI driver hit, the cards had already been out for a little while, hadn't they? Had the driver been in development already? Or does the OSS team not start development until after the cards have hit market?? I'm just thinking of the way Intel handles their drivers, they try very hard to make sure that only is the code out there at launch, but that its already in distros people are using so that they don't have to be pulling from same-day git of project branches.

Not trying to hate on the driver, you guys have been doing an awesome job and its why any future purchases I make whether laptop or desktop will be going to AMD if possible. Its just a point of contention if the cards hit the market but you have to wait 6months+ for the code to be in a release form.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
          One thing thats puzzled me though, not about code but about development model. When the RadeonSI driver hit, the cards had already been out for a little while, hadn't they? Had the driver been in development already?
          We started implementing support for SI hardware before the hw was released and we released the initial SI code right around hw launch time.

Comment

Hi. May i ask you what is necessary to run X-Plane with opensource drivers?
            Does XPlane scan for mesa drivers and forces a quit or what is stopping the show?
            Thanks.

//Edit: Euro Truck Simulator 2 looks like it is supposed to be with mesa 10.2-git finally. Great work!

Comment

Working...
            X