Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GLAMOR Can Now Be Enabled For AMD R300/R500 GPUs

Default GLAMOR Can Now Be Enabled For AMD R300/R500 GPUs

Phoronix: GLAMOR Can Now Be Enabled For AMD R300/R500 GPUs

Older AMD (ATI) Radeon GPUs can now optionally use GLAMOR for 2D hardware acceleration in place of EXA when using the latest open-source graphics driver...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYyNjI

benchmarks for r300g?

Quote Originally Posted by jakubo View Post
    benchmarks for r300g?
    Unless Michael is doing general GLAMOR benchmarks already, there's not much point. GLAMOR is just starting to be optimized and made quick, as per the usual open source development modal: make it work, then make it work fast. Give Keith and Eric some time to keep making optimization changes then we can worry about benchmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    Unless Michael is doing general GLAMOR benchmarks already, there's not much point. GLAMOR is just starting to be optimized and made quick, as per the usual open source development modal: make it work, then make it work fast. Give Keith and Eric some time to keep making optimization changes then we can worry about benchmarks
    i think, there might have been more pointless benchmarks than comparing exa to glamor in its current state on r300g and r600g, and maybe intel a couple of generations compared to sna and uxa and then tracking progress from there

Developers are currently working on major GLAMOR performance improvements but for now the Radeon GLAMOR performance is actually quite bad.
    No it isn't. I've been using GLAMOR for about a year or so because its performance is so much better than EXA. This is using a Radeon HD 6000 -series card.

(Well, could argue they both perform quite badly.)

Quote Originally Posted by curfew View Post
    No it isn't.

This is on Intel. On Intel fallbacks are cheaper than on Radeon. On Radeon it's a pain in the ass.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    as per the usual open source development modal: make it work, then make it work fast.
    Not always, some software can be fast from day 1, but not in the case of drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by curfew View Post
    No it isn't. I've been using GLAMOR for about a year or so because its performance is so much better than EXA. This is using a Radeon HD 6000 -series card.
    If you think exa is bad, you haven't used the blob.

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    If you think exa is bad, you haven't used the blob.
    I hear that quite often.

However, unless I activate Xinerama, the 2d performance seems to be very good in case of a HD7950 with Catalyst.
    By very good I mean how it feels *to me* - no hard numbers. There's no sluggishness during scrolling, etc...
    This might have something to do with the fast memory and the high bandwidth on those cards. (?)

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    I hear that quite often.

However, unless I activate Xinerama, the 2d performance seems to be very good in case of a HD7950 with Catalyst.
    By very good I mean how it feels *to me* - no hard numbers. There's no sluggishness during scrolling, etc...
    This might have something to do with the fast memory and the high bandwidth on those cards. (?)
    Yes, I have mostly low or mid-end hw. Try E-350 instead of a high-end card of the current gen, for example.