No announcement yet.

Crytek Showing Off CryEngine On Linux At GDC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can anyone who knows this engine tell if engine is backward compatible? aka. could we see old cryengine games ported?

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
      can anyone who knows this engine tell if engine is backward compatible?
      Both CryEngine and Unreal Engine share large part of codebase between versions.
      It's basically Crytek decide to drop version numbers in engine titles.

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
      aka. could we see old cryengine games ported?
      It's not likely, but not because of technical reasons. E.g Crysis owned by EA and Crytek can't release any port without them and for other CryEngine games it's will be up to their developers/publishers.

Comment

I'm just curious if people are going to go bat s**t crazy if this ends up running on Ubuntu or even worse on Steam OS.

Comment

Originally posted by Pseus View Post
          Just wanted to say I've been seeing this a lot on my Android phone too. Only in Phoronix.
          Probably because on the desktop you are logged into the forum, and on mobile you're not?

Comment

I cry'ed when I saw this.

Comment

Cryengine didn't make theses demos. Artists did.
              We can make this and better games with any tool.

Comment

Originally posted by amagnoni View Post
                Cryengine didn't make theses demos. Artists did.
                We can make this and better games with any tool.
                You can also make this and better games writing code in Assembly sending commands directly to OpenGL. The question is how much time can CryEngine save you.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                  You can also make this and better games writing code in Assembly sending commands directly to OpenGL. The question is how much time can CryEngine save you.
                  That's why i cited tools.

Comment

Originally posted by amagnoni View Post
                    That's why i cited tools.
                    Then let me rephrase my question: how much time can CryEngine save you compared to using other tools? I am betting it must be saving enough time to justify the price of the license.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                      Why are you using openGL? AMD and Intel have programming documentation on most of their gpus available in the public. Just use their assembler languages and write a backend for every single part.

Just wanted to say I've been seeing this a lot on my Android phone too. Only in Phoronix.
                      I've been getting it on any adsense site on my tablet. Honestly, it beats flash ads cause its one tap to close the dialog, but it is still ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
                      X