Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel 2D GLAMOR vs. UXA vs. SNA On Ubuntu 14.04

Phoronix: Intel 2D GLAMOR vs. UXA vs. SNA On Ubuntu 14.04

With GLAMOR generating a lot of interest lately due to AMD's RadeonSI Gallium3D driver depending upon it and Intel driving lots of improvements into it now that it's been merged into the X.Org Server, here's some new benchmarks of Intel Haswell HD Graphics 2D performance of the latest Intel xf86-video-intel 3.0 pre-release on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS comparing the GLAMOR, UXA, and SNA acceleration architectures.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Chris Wilson does an amazing job, no doubt.

I wonder what the motivation for intel is, to invest man power into
    GLAMOR as they already have the superior SNA...

Comment

Glamor continue to be very very slow

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
        Chris Wilson does an amazing job, no doubt.

I wonder what the motivation for intel is, to invest man power into
        GLAMOR as they already have the superior SNA...
        I believe that glamor will be necessary for accelerated 2D in XWayland

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
          Good point!
          Not sure about the technical details but that could be...

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
            Why can't wayland clients rasterize using SNA? Can't this be built in pixman and cairo?

Comment

XWayland still supports SNA, but by time, lots of applications won't use X11 + XRender any more. I guess there won't be any new 2D accelleration for the next GPUs.

newwen: XWayland can use SNA, wayland itself can't. Cairo on the other hand is able to, but I guess their OpenGL backend will be faster.
              Last edited by degasus; 11 March 2014, 10:02 AM.

Comment

What about gen 4/4.5 Intel chipsets? I can enable sna (Ive verified it's working) but is it worth it?

Comment

Note that Eric Anholt and others have very recently put a lot of work into improving glamor greatly, e.g.:

new glamor development will now usually happen inside the X server, and there's a lot of good stuff in the pipeline. So please don't take these benchmarks with old glamor 0.6.0 seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
                    What about gen 4/4.5 Intel chipsets? I can enable sna (Ive verified it's working) but is it worth it?
                    From my experience it's definitely worth it - performance wise.

However, gen4 *features* some (apparently) broken designs that may cause corruptions with SNA:

Comment

Working...
                    X