Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GLAMOR Can Now Be Enabled For AMD R300/R500 GPUs

Phoronix: GLAMOR Can Now Be Enabled For AMD R300/R500 GPUs

Older AMD (ATI) Radeon GPUs can now optionally use GLAMOR for 2D hardware acceleration in place of EXA when using the latest open-source graphics driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

benchmarks for r300g?

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
      benchmarks for r300g?
      Unless Michael is doing general GLAMOR benchmarks already, there's not much point. GLAMOR is just starting to be optimized and made quick, as per the usual open source development modal: make it work, then make it work fast. Give Keith and Eric some time to keep making optimization changes then we can worry about benchmarks
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        Unless Michael is doing general GLAMOR benchmarks already, there's not much point. GLAMOR is just starting to be optimized and made quick, as per the usual open source development modal: make it work, then make it work fast. Give Keith and Eric some time to keep making optimization changes then we can worry about benchmarks
        i think, there might have been more pointless benchmarks than comparing exa to glamor in its current state on r300g and r600g, and maybe intel a couple of generations compared to sna and uxa and then tracking progress from there

Comment

Developers are currently working on major GLAMOR performance improvements but for now the Radeon GLAMOR performance is actually quite bad.
          No it isn't. I've been using GLAMOR for about a year or so because its performance is so much better than EXA. This is using a Radeon HD 6000 -series card.

(Well, could argue they both perform quite badly.)

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
            No it isn't.

This is on Intel. On Intel fallbacks are cheaper than on Radeon. On Radeon it's a pain in the ass.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              as per the usual open source development modal: make it work, then make it work fast.
              Not always, some software can be fast from day 1, but not in the case of drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
                No it isn't. I've been using GLAMOR for about a year or so because its performance is so much better than EXA. This is using a Radeon HD 6000 -series card.
                If you think exa is bad, you haven't used the blob.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  If you think exa is bad, you haven't used the blob.
                  I hear that quite often.

However, unless I activate Xinerama, the 2d performance seems to be very good in case of a HD7950 with Catalyst.
                  By very good I mean how it feels *to me* - no hard numbers. There's no sluggishness during scrolling, etc...
                  This might have something to do with the fast memory and the high bandwidth on those cards. (?)

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                    I hear that quite often.

However, unless I activate Xinerama, the 2d performance seems to be very good in case of a HD7950 with Catalyst.
                    By very good I mean how it feels *to me* - no hard numbers. There's no sluggishness during scrolling, etc...
                    This might have something to do with the fast memory and the high bandwidth on those cards. (?)
                    Yes, I have mostly low or mid-end hw. Try E-350 instead of a high-end card of the current gen, for example.

Comment

Working...
                    X