KWin 5 To Drop Its OpenGL 1.x Compositor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meh, I'll bite and feed the trolls.

So, the feature in question is composing. Composing is here to stay, and it has several backends (in KWin 4): XRender, OpenGL1, OpenGL 2 and OpenGL 3.1 (happily using the last one with the Nouveau drivers )
    KWin 5 instead will feature: XRender, OpenGL 2 and OpenGL 3.1.

So it's not right to talk about "removed features", as composing is still here. And anyway, who in this day and age doesn't even support OpenGL 2? If I remember right, KWin also work with OpenGL ES 2, which is a subset of OpenGL 2, and thus supported by even more hardware.

According to Wikipedia, OpenGL 2 got released in 2004. To put it into prospective, It's the year of the Prescot/Northwood Pentium 4, and the first Athlon 64. I seriously doubt even KDE 4 run on those in a decent way.
    And anyway, one with hardware this old can disable the various effects (most didn't work with OpenGL 1 anyway) and start using XRender, which is quite efficient.

That said, I'm out of there. Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
      And is this so hard to accept? Don't you like facts? Why does it bother you that KDE is removing features and the acknowledged by people? I see you joined the club of people who know my opinions better than my self. I think you need to find a better attitude if you want to discuss whether the "Great KDE Feature Killing" is net gain.
      It's hard to accept because you're saying things without any substance. We're all well aware that this "feature" (a word you have continuously misused) is being removed, but why should we care? You state these things as though they're evil and even gnome users think you're being ridiculous. The fact that you don't have a single person on your side right now makes your efforts futile. Even if people don't like KDE, they don't need more convincing to stay away from it, so you're seriously just wasting time and tainting the community with mindless hate and ranting.

Comment

The nepomuk-kde to baloo conversion killed off features. You are welcome to claim that the whole nepomuk experiment i KDE4 was useless, but that really doesn't change anything except adding a few lulz. KDE removes features.
        It's obvious you're only about yelling KDE has removed features. I feel like I'm watching the "Living in a Van Down By the River" skit from Saturday Night Live.

The real point is that, you are technically correct in that KDE is removing things that could be considered check boxes on a feature sheet, but in reality, the majority of users, maybe not everyone, but most will not miss OpenGL 1 compaitbility. They also won't miss some of the fringe things that Nepomuk can do when the switch to Baloo happens for the masses if Baloo gives the same experience to the average .

From the above posts, it seems like you might be a Gnome guy. If that is true I can understand why you want to lash out. Gnome has been removing PRACTICAL features with each new release. In the grand scheme of things I care more about Gnome removing the ability to select and resize wallpaper without installing the Tweak Tool more than losing OpenGL 1 compatibility.

If you want to call both of my above examples "features" and say they are no longer present (I'm speaking about the default setup. You can get some features back by installing the Tweak Tool, but without it the functionality is gone from the default Gnome settings panel.) then yes, you're right.

However, the comparison lacks context. You can scream all day that KDE is removing features and you'll be technically right, but if you provide the necessary context it doesn't add up to all that much.

I know your response to this, if any, will contain "KDE removes features" so I'll save you the time.

The KDE developers spend their days REMOVING FEATURES while they're living in a van down by the river!

Comment

Wow. You are a fast learner.

Now you just need to use your newly acquired skills to understand that you are in no position to make claims about what I might think or might not think. It is getting really boring to see you assert wild and ceazy things about me. Let us get back to the facts. KDE are removing features. And if you go crazy about me stating this fact, then you have a problem, not me.

KDE removes features.
          Now the only thing you have to learn, because it is quite obvious that you don't understand, what the difference between a feature and an unused compatibility layer is. And seeing that half (estimated) of your "facts" are actually made up you should look up that word, too, if you are already at it.

Comment

And is this so hard to accept? Don't you like facts? Why does it bother you that KDE is removing features and the acknowledged by people? I see you joined the club of people who know my opinions better than my self. I think you need to find a better attitude if you want to discuss whether the "Great KDE Feature Killing" is net gain.
            Actually, it isn't hard to know your opinion, since you are keen to repost it again and again in any thread that is even slightly related (and many totally unrelated) to KDE/Qt/Canonical/anything that has a CLA/CA (besides GNU projects).

Comment

Originally posted by DebianLinuxero View Post
              Umm, I think first and second generation Intel Atom's Netbook and Nettop's would be affected by this.

Weren't GMA 945 and 950 OpenGL 1.4 only?

Too bad if that's the case.
              Current generation Plasma is in LTS mode.

Comment

*sigh*

Honton:
                1. States a ridiculous claim.
                2. Claims everyone knows his opinion better than himself (i.e. playing the victim)
                3. ???
                4. Profit.

gg no re

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
                  *sigh*

Honton:
                  1. States a ridiculous claim.
                  2. Claims everyone knows his opinion better than himself (i.e. playing the victim)
                  3. ???
                  4. Profit.

gg no re
                  Yeah... could you guys please stop arguing with honton, there's literally no point and you're making him respond by actually paying attention to him even though he's literally got nothing at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                    Yeah... could you guys please stop arguing with honton, there's literally no point and you're making him respond by actually paying attention to him even though he's literally got nothing at this point.
                    Agreed. Do you really think this guy is going to change his way because of you replying to him with some wonderfully great argument. He's just enjoying getting your attention.

Last edited by tarceri; 11 March 2014, 01:05 AM.

Comment

There's only 1 way to stop it.

Comment

Working...
                      X