Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    As stated before, even if they kept openGL 1.x, old users probably couldn't get decent performance out of compositing anyway. As someone else pointed, there's always LLVM, and as the article pointed out, there's X render, so no, nobody is being "left in the cold". I'd like to know how many KDE 4 users there are that still use ogl 1.x compositing. This isn't even a "feature" being removed, it's just simply a layer of compatibility that is highly unnecessary, and it might be alienating less than 1% of all linux users. I'd much rather have the limited developer resources and time focused on openGL 2.x and 3.x, where people will actually USE it. Remember, every additional thing added is 1 more thing to maintain.

On another note, even if KDE lost 10 nice-to-have features, it'd still be more feature-rich than any other DE. I really don't understand why people like you try so hard to go out of you way to hate a piece of software that you don't even have to use.

so much talk is a feature remove, simply like that, if is good or bad and dont know and dont care i dont use kde..

Comment

Old Intel netbook users can install Kubuntu 14.04 when it releases (comes with KDE ~4.12) and use it for the years to come. I don't see the problem. OpenGL 2 is really a joke of a requirement.

Comment

Originally posted by Honton View Post
        I think you will have a hard time finding anyone disagreeing with this. Still it is a fact that KDE removed yet another feature. Why be so upset about this? KDE removes features, get over it.
        I suggest you take your own advice and get over it. I have never seen anyone freak out about something as insignificant and necessary as this. Maybe if KDE had a large dedicated team with corporate backing then you could just think "well they're just being lazy" but since that isn't the case, removing openGL 1.x support is for the good of everyone. Remember - there's still LLVM and xrender.

Comment

Anyone who troll in the forum gets added to my ignore list. There's no reason to feed a troll.

Comment

I thought they already dropped it... Must have gotten something mixed up.

Comment

I strongly agree. KDE removed yet another feature. That is a fact no matter if you like the removal or not. That is a fact no matter who makes the claim.
              Now I get it. You aren't actually having a problem with KDE removing an unnecessary compatibility layer without asking you if you still need it. You are mad at any software that does remove something without getting the flak for it like your beloved Gnome does. So here I tell you the difference: No one is seriously using a system only capable of OpenGL 1 acceleration with KDE and even if somebody does there are fallback options like llvmpipe for those people affected. In opposition to that, Gnome people are removing features that people are still using and often demanding (dual-pane Nautilus anyone?).
              So, to make it easier for your limited capability of understanding obvious things:
              - KDE has removed an unnecessary and unused compatibility layer with leaving fallback options
              - Gnome removes features without leaving fallback options

Now think about why people are mad at Gnome developers, but not at KDE developers and leave this thread alone.

Comment

KDE removes features.
                Probably, but i'm not sure this counts. GL1 here is an implementation detail, not a feature itself.

Now, maybe this actually does remove certain effects that aren't available in the XRender backend. If so, then you'd maybe have a point. But i'm going to go out on a limb here and say you have no idea whether that's true or not. I certainly don't.

Comment

And that doesn't spell good or bad. Fact is that KDE is removing features without asking the users. Yeah they are probably the most feature removing DE in 2014.
                  You could call it removing features, but a more accurate description would probably be removing bloat and cruft. But then again... if they DIDN'T remove it, you would probably be complaining about KDE's being bloated for still maintaining an OpenGL 1 renderer.
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Fact is that KDE is removing features without asking the users.
                    Again, you haven't proven that they are. I just think it's likely because everybody removes old useless features sometimes, so you are probably right. But it'd be nice if you could actually point out a feature being removed while you are claiming this.

Comment

Well. Why do you need my opinion when you can make one for me? You have shown no interest in knowing my opinion, and I have shown no interest in sharing my opinion with you. So there is only the facts left which we are forced to share.

KDE removes features.
                      So far, all you've done is state that KDE removes features. You haven't even stated whether that's good or bad. However, based on previous posts by you, you apparently think that's a negative attribute. You need to explain why it's negative about each removed "feature". People don't tend to do things without at least some kind of reasoning and you just ignore that reasoning. I can do the same kind of FUD for just about anything.

"Intel processors uses less power so they are weaker!"
                      "Phone A has less GB than alternatives thus it sucks!"
                      "UT3 doesn't support Voodoo cards like UT99 did thus it's sucks!"

It's not fun arguing with someone who is so ignorant, he can't even summon enough reasoning to make an argument. People respond simply because they like to argue but it's frustrating reading some of the stupid crap you say.

Comment

Working...
                      X