3 windows apps that you would like to see ported

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by givemesugarr View Post
    at this time i cannot find a real app that hasn't a real counterpart on linux and that i regularly use.
    as for the apps that i use sometimes i'd say:

adobe photoshop -> this is a real need for linux and if this will in some way be made available to linux users in a good way then it will mean a lot of new users

now i cannot find any other apps and this could mean something, or not?!
    Photoshop CS2 works well enough in Wine/Crossover Office that it is usable for my needs. YM, of course, MV. If you haven't tried it under Wine lately it's worth updating and giving it a shot. However, if you are for some reason tied to CS3, or perhaps some third party plugins, you're still OOL.

Comment

Originally posted by rbmorse View Post
      Photoshop CS2 works well enough in Wine/Crossover Office that it is usable for my needs. YM, of course, MV. If you haven't tried it under Wine lately it's worth updating and giving it a shot. However, if you are for some reason tied to CS3, or perhaps some third party plugins, you're still OOL.
      wine needs a videoboard that supports it well. i'm always a fast upgrader of wine (as soon as it hits portage or sabayon tree it goes also in update). the real problem stands in the opengl part of my board not being well supported (opengl is really crappy on x200m if you're able to have it work and not hang the system) so anything that is opengl based, including wine cannot be rendered. i'm using a virtualbox base windows just to be able to use iexplore (i have to go sometimes on sites that embedd activex controls for confirmation and this drives me so mad everytime that i do it that i'd like to kill the webmaster). i know that wine is making a lot of progress but still it needs a videoboard that is able to work with it. and still cs3 doesn't work.
      i hope that project air would bring a lot of cool news about adobe stuff in the near future, like a 64bit flash plugin and an ability to write apps that work with its software.

Comment

allaroundautomations' pl/sql developer - a must have tool for anybody using oracle databases in production environment (opensource alternative tORA is ok, but it has a different approach to the task and lacks some features).

oh and most likely adobe's flash development suite. it might work on wine, or not but linux really lacks some of adobe's flagship products.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          None. There's everything I need already in the open.
          same for me; didn't use windoze@home for more than 5 years

Comment

1.Photoshop
            2.Dreamweaver
            3.Illustrator
            and a lot more..
            good ati drivers also

Comment

I vote for VirtualDub, as implied here:

(5) Compile a C,C++,Java,Fortran cross-compiler for Windows.

This compiler runs on a Windows box. It compiles Windows source code and the resulting binaries will run unaltered on Linux. Ever wanted to compile VirtualDub so that it runs on Linux? This avoids having to port the source code.

Code:
              cd /gcc/binutils-win32-linux 
              /gcc/binutils-2.18.50/configure --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu \ 
                          --host=i686-pc-mingw32 \ 
                          --target=i686-pc-linux-gnu \ 
                          --prefix=/mingw 
              make 
              make install
              Code:
              cd /gcc/gcc-win32-linux 
              /gcc/gcc-4.2.3/configure --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu \ 
                          --host=i686-pc-mingw32 \ 
                          --target=i686-pc-linux-gnu \ 
                          --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,java \ 
                          --disable-libgomp \ 
                          --prefix=/mingw 
              make 
              make install
              Now you copy everything in /mingw to C:\mingw on a Windows box and start compiling there. After you have compiled your Windows program, say VirtualDub, on your Windows computer, you transfer the resulting executable back to Linux and run it there. Of course, for most compilations you will also need to compile a version of the make program for Windows. You can compile the make program for Windows, on your Linux box, by using the cross-compiler you built in step (3).

FROM: Free Compilers and Cross-Compilers for Linux and Windows.

How to Make a Website with free web hosting services & cheap web hosting for ecommerce & small business hosting. Create & Make a Free Website with Affordable web hosting provider free website promotion tools & web stats. Free Website Builder, Templates, & Best Free Web Hosting. How to Create a Website

Also: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8411

Comment

I'd like to see some more/better guitar effect apps ported over to Linux as I play bass and need some crazy effects from time to time. I don't care for any specific one whether its Guitar Rig or whatever. Guitar Rig has a mac port so it couldn't be hard for Native Instruments to get it on Linux. I refuse to run it in Wine too because I don't get native asio that way unfortunately.

The second thing I'd like to see is some more games obviously. And then the third one, hmm.. I don't really need anything other than that.
                Last edited by Malikith; 13 May 2008, 01:16 AM.

Comment

I think the most important things lacking in Linux at the moment, besides the obvious (big-name games) are the little yet pervasive apps that everyone uses:

1. Messengers -- Skype is in a very unstable shape with limited features, Yahoo and MSN are completely missing, while Pidgin and Kopete are valiant efforts but lack the important features like voice and webcam.

2. Total Commander -- it is THE best file manager out there, and unfortunately Krusader and Gnome-commander don't even come close (they are clunky, unstable and ugly). MC is better but console-only unfortunately.

3. IrfanView -- yes, we have a plethora of various image viewers, but they are unstable, featureless, and slow as hell. The fact that I prefer running IrfanView in Wine to any ot the native ones says it all.

Frankly, if these three areas were covered 100% in Linux (the way playing videos is, with three excellent apps in MPlayer, VNC and Xine) then we could say that Linux is "ready" for mass adoption. As it stands now, people who are used to Win* need to adapt and compromise in order to make the switch -- sure, it's possible, but they'll always feel something is "missing".

Comment

TeraTerm

TeraTerm (or something similar). Minicom sucks beyond measure,
                    putty lacks xmodem/zmodem support (and a menubar), and teraterm can't
                    even display 2400baud serial line data in realtime when running under
                    wine.

Comment

Originally posted by Jade View Post
                      I vote for VirtualDub, as implied here:
                      Have you tried avidemux2? I was a long time virtualdub fan until I started using avidemux2. I've found it to be as good (in somethings better) then old vdub.

Comment

Working...
                      X