Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Honton View Post
    Wayland is not covered.
    Any successor to X that the board decides is covered.

Wayland is a successor to X. It is covered.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
      I don't get where people got the idea that the first release of Plasma Next will have fully wayland support. Sure, they have been working on it, but the developers never claimed, or even implied, it would be ready right away.
      Martin wrote in October 2012:
      ?starting from January I will join Blue Systems for working on KWin. [?] I want to use this chance to work on bringing KWin to the world of Wayland.?
      Very soon after joining the KWin development team almost five years ago, I realized that KWin would need at least one full time developer. It is one of the most important parts for the user experie…

So IMHO he did imply that he would work full time on Wayland support for KWin in 2013. Priorities shifted when all Blue Systems programmers decided to focus on KF5, which is nothing bad (on the contrary, it is great!), but claiming that Martin never gave the impression of Wayland support coming really early (even though he may have never stated an exact version number), is not true either.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
        Any successor to X that the board decides is covered.

Wayland is a successor to X. It is covered.
        The board does not need to decide on Wayland as being the successor. Wayland became an X.org project: https://fosdem.org/2014/schedule/event/xorg_foundation/

Comment

Originally posted by rudregues View Post
          Wayland and Weston works.
          I have these programs installed in my Gentoo box. For the moment I'm able to run evince, gedit, gnumeric and transmission-remote-gtk from my installed graphical software.
          My other programs, abiword, chromium, firefox, qgis etc doesn't work because of developers who didn't ported yet.

Before 2015 I'll be using more Wayland then X11 I think. Need mainly mplayer and firefox or chromium to be ported first since I use much them.

$ weston-launch
          for you!
          There is Chromium port to Wayland already using ozone-wayland. As for mplayer, you might wanna take a look at mpv - fork of both mplayer and mplayer2 that supports wayland out of the box. As for Firefox, that's a long way to go even when GTK+3 port gets completed.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
            Martin wrote in October 2012:
            “starting from January I will join Blue Systems for working on KWin. […] I want to use this chance to work on bringing KWin to the world of Wayland.”
            Very soon after joining the KWin development team almost five years ago, I realized that KWin would need at least one full time developer. It is one of the most important parts for the user experie…

So IMHO he did imply that he would work full time on Wayland support for KWin in 2013. Priorities shifted when all Blue Systems programmers decided to focus on KF5, which is nothing bad (on the contrary, it is great!), but claiming that Martin never gave the impression of Wayland support coming really early (even though he may have never stated an exact version number), is not true either.
            About a year ago i estimated in these forums that Wayland in KDE would be ready around spring 2015. Martin replied to my post and basically said i had no clue what i was talking about and it would be sooner than that, though he wouldn't go into any details about when he thought it would happen.

I'm feeling pretty good about that spring 2015 estimate right now.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              I'm feeling pretty good about that spring 2015 estimate right now.
              You're being very specific! My own prediction are more fuzzy but in the same ballpark: 2014 beta/early adopters, 2015 safe.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                It means that applications which run on Windows/OS X should run on Weston as well, and probably a few more.

And there definitely won't be Plasma desktop support. You'll need to run Weston or another desktop compositor.
                Well, Plasma does run on Windows. Not very well, mind you, but still.

Comment

And for those who think the Free Qt foundation is nothing but a lawyer's prank. Wayland is not even covered. Just like win, qnx, mac and so on. Anyway that might not matter since Free Qt foundation does not cover Qt only "Qt Free Edition".

???

Can you read the files LICENSE.GPL, LICENSE.LGPL ????

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
                    ???

Can you read the files LICENSE.GPL, LICENSE.LGPL ????
                    Don't even try. It's a troll and ignores every fact you tell him. For the record members of the Free-Qt Foundation recently sent a detailed mail to the kde-community mailing list due to Honton's trolling. It knows that, it knows that the mail also addressed his Wayland concerns. But it will ride the CLA bullshit as long as it wants. It ignores everything which got explained to him especially that the restriction on a platform is nowadays pointless. But it fits its trolling. Put it on ignore list and have a happy day.

Comment

WTell us, does KDE gain any rights to relicense the entire Qt or is it only covering the already free licensed version for a very limited number of platforms?
                      Stop lying. The entire Qt is under a free license and you know it. There is not a single line of code different between the free and non-free versions.

Comment

Working...
                      X