No announcement yet.

The State Of Wayland Support With KDE Frameworks 5, Plasma Next

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would be really cool if it was released with Wayland support out of the box. Still, I don't get what "support at least on par with KDE's Windows and OS X" means.

Comment

So it'll be KDE 4.0 all over again? A totally barebones version to start out with, with nothing, and they slowly build it more over time?

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbo21 View Post
        So it'll be KDE 4.0 all over again? A totally barebones version to start out with, with nothing, and they slowly build it more over time?
        No, the X11 version should have most if not all the functionality from KDE SC 4.13 (although it sounds like the design team won't be finished with their polishing yet). The Wayland version, once it is ready, won't be like 4.0 either, since it is more a matter of getting the affected frameworks working properly, rather than having to build up all the underlying frameworks, API, widgets, and artwork like had to be done for 4.0.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
          No, the X11 version should have most if not all the functionality from KDE SC 4.13 (although it sounds like the design team won't be finished with their polishing yet). The Wayland version, once it is ready, won't be like 4.0 either, since it is more a matter of getting the affected frameworks working properly, rather than having to build up all the underlying frameworks, API, widgets, and artwork like had to be done for 4.0.
          Oh I see, well thats good news atleast.

Comment

Originally posted by Hοnton View Post
            It would be really cool if it was released with Wayland support out of the box. Still, I don't get what "support at least on par with KDE's Windows and OS X" means.
            It means that applications which run on Windows/OS X should run on Weston as well, and probably a few more.

What it doesn't mean is that every application will run - there will likely still be some applications that specifically tie in to X and that will need to be ported away to run cross-platform. Hopefully there won't be many of these, but they aren't making any promises.

And there definitely won't be Plasma desktop support. You'll need to run Weston or another desktop compositor.

Comment

where?

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
              Only if one has no idea what vaporware means https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware Wayland is fully defined and Weston has multiple releases with desktop environments getting closer to full functionality.

where is a distro, a real one ofc not a testing

Comment

DEs are taking their sweet time with Wayland support. Just as with gnome, I'll be surprised if anything truly usable comes out this year.

Comment

Originally posted by jukkan View Post
                  DEs are taking their sweet time with Wayland support. Just as with gnome, I'll be surprised if anything truly usable comes out this year.
                  When I joined this forum 5 years ago, people were telling me that Wayland would absolutely kill X in less than a year because it was Almost Ready (TM) and nothing depended on X anymore.

I said that it would take at least 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                    When I joined this forum 5 years ago, people were telling me that Wayland would absolutely kill X in less than a year because it was Almost Ready (TM) and nothing depended on X anymore.

I said that it would take at least 5 years.
                    well ironically the delayed adoption of wayland is actually X11 fault's, if you are a dev you will realize migrate an existing app to wayland is quite trivial on itself even more if you use Qt5 and in fact you will prolly save thousand of line of code but the issue is you will realize that it works beatifully but it will destroy your X11 compatibility entirely 100% guaranteed too.

here is when the time killer come to scene, since for a myriad of reason you prolly still need support X11 hence you have to abstract the hell out of the code to keep compatibility with both and that will force you to rethink the little details like the performance of your code after all wayland open a miriad of new techniques and performance optimizations that are not possible with X11,etc,etc,etc

in the case of compositors is even worse since the are tons and tons of accumulated hacks one on top of another to support every possible fail/compat/accel scenario in X11 through the years that are not neccesary for wayland at all and in some cases arent even portable to wayland.

so among other reasons the basic problem is that you no simply port to wayland, you cleanup your messy code then modularize then you abstract interfaces the you optimize code paths then you make the X11 code work again and then you port to wayland because is the only sane way to keep backward compatibility (note for xwayland you need an optimal X11 path) and after all this you notice is actually a couple more steps away the support for others OSes and all of this have taken lots of time and some had to actually wait for Xorg modernizations like DRI3

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                      you no simply port to wayland
                      i want that as a meme please. Go for it Boromir!

it does sound as if a fork might be easier. have KDEX and KDEW the latter probably being just a subset. but once its finished you can merge., or simply delete the x version. looking for compatibility sounds like a waste of time to me. like mobile DE on Desktop PCs. is it not just a massive overhead and a great pain in the ass to check for 2 isplay severs for compatiility noteven mentioning mir) s why not dop everything tat doesnwrk th wayln in one verso nd enable feaures optimised from scratch? isnt this what the switch was meant to do anyways? remove old legacy code?

Comment

Working...
                      X