Thread: Trying The Unity 8 Desktop Session On Ubuntu 14.04

Default Trying The Unity 8 Desktop Session On Ubuntu 14.04

Phoronix: Trying The Unity 8 Desktop Session On Ubuntu 14.04

Besides running benchmarks this weekend on the ASUS UX301LA with Linux and Windows, I've also been running some desktop environment tests of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYyNTQ

Well... yeah, the edges don't work on the desktop yet, only for phones and tablets. :P

mir session worked? on my 3 setups (nouveau, radeon r300g and intel 945) it didnt
    whats more it screwed up my login on the nouveau when removing the packages, so i cant go back anymore

Quote Originally Posted by jakubo View Post
    mir session worked? on my 3 setups (nouveau, radeon r300g and intel 945) it didnt
    whats more it screwed up my login on the nouveau when removing the packages, so i cant go back anymore
    I've been trying the mir session on daily live images of Trusty several times and only once I had a working Unity 8. This is really a tech preview and I wouldn't install it on a machine that you need to be working.

When that happened it looked like the one presented on Nexus 10 tablets. I had mouse input but the cursor was invisible. It was running in fullscreen and I had no problems with swiping. I managed to blindly launch webbrowser-app and system settings which opened in sidestage. The things that worked were very fluent. Like swiping beetwen the lenses and getting the launcher to show. Only swiping the indicators were somewhat laggy.

So the unity 8 preview is just the small phone UI in the top left corner of the screen?

Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    So the unity 8 preview is just the small phone UI in the top left corner of the screen?
    nop, its tablet UI.
    on 2 of my machines with AMD open soucer drivers it works great, on my machine with Nvidia plus nouveau it sucks.
    im guessing theres some bug with nouveau, but the driver itself is a complete mess :P

Quote Originally Posted by TheSoulz View Post
    nop, its tablet UI.
    on 2 of my machines with AMD open soucer drivers it works great, on my machine with Nvidia plus nouveau it sucks.
    im guessing theres some bug with nouveau, but the driver itself is a complete mess :P
    In my machine, with amd a8 5600k and opensource driver, TOTALLY BLACK SCREEN

Quote Originally Posted by pandev92 View Post
    In my machine, with amd a8 5600k and opensource driver, TOTALLY BLACK SCREEN
    oh i forgot to meantion, if you dont add the PPA you will get that.
    theres a PPA with the latest fixes somewhere, i forgot where :P

This is the PPA:

https://launchpad.net/~unity8-deskto...archive/custom

and the description is important. When you install Unity 8 desktop session you also install libhybris and that gets set as default provider of EGL. Of course on desktop you should have Mesa set for EGL.

NOTE: You may need to undo the damage done when libhybris was installed by running the command

sudo update-alternatives --config x86_64-linux-gnu_egl_conf

and choosing the non-libhybris alternative. The symptom that you need to do this is an error in /var/log/lightdm/unity-system-compositor.log that says something like this:

undefined symbol: _glapi_tls_Dispatch

Quote Originally Posted by Bestia View Post
    This is the PPA:

https://launchpad.net/~unity8-deskto...archive/custom

and the description is important. When you install Unity 8 desktop session you also install libhybris and that gets set as default provider of EGL. Of course on desktop you should have Mesa set for EGL.
    Maybe Michael should re-do the tests with the ppa applied.