Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.7.14 Arrives With More Task Scheduler Support

Phoronix: Wine 1.7.14 Arrives With More Task Scheduler Support

The latest bi-weekly development release of Wine is now available, but sadly it doesn't yet mainline the major Direct3D command stream work for improved performance nor has it moved much along with its Direct3D 10/11 work...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Dx12 shouldn't be even considered for several years...it's not even done (AFAIK) and then there is lack of games that would use it.

Dx10/11 is completely different story....many of the most modern games no longer support Dx9 like
    CoDBO2, CoDG, BF3, BF4 and TITANFALL (granted, all those tittles except maybe TITANFALL (i played the BETA and i liked it but i have serious doubts about final game....playing HAWKEN now as Mechs games goes and lot's of fun) are actually c++p for one another reason(s)).

This is even more important because XB1 is a Dx11.x console (AFAIK)....so, because many PC games are now console ports, more and more games will be demanding Dx10 minimum (and many are already Dx11 only).

Notice that it's not only "console ports"....ArmA3 , a PC Only game, is DX10/11 Only.

OTOH, many of the best PC games EVER done are Dx9 compatible (including many relatively recent titles).
    Last edited by AJSB; 07 March 2014, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post

Notice that it's not only "console ports"....ArmA3 , a PC Only game, is DX10/11 Only.

OTOH, many of the best PC games EVER done are Dx9 compatible (including many relatively recent titles).
      This is correct DX9 stay a few years more as you said

And this situation is very good for wine, that wine only support DX9 and before, however errors can be appear as lantern bug on alan wake, MPEG movie sequences errors, 360 movement mouse on fullscreen and another details

Comment

hmh that annoying steam bug still exist. Luckily I don't need that ingame community crap anyway, but it was sure puzzling to try to find out why my games suddenly start crashing as soon as I touched keyboard(compiling biarch wine with lxc for nothing).

Only upcoming game that interest me is Witcher wild hunt, if that is not running with wine(witcher 1 and 2 worked like charm with wine) I might forced to install windows 7/8.1. If only we could get steamos version of it...

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
          hmh that annoying steam bug still exist. Luckily I don't need that ingame community crap anyway, but it was sure puzzling to try to find out why my games suddenly start crashing as soon as I touched keyboard(compiling biarch wine with lxc for nothing).

Only upcoming game that interest me is Witcher wild hunt, if that is not running with wine(witcher 1 and 2 worked like charm with wine) I might forced to install windows 7/8.1. If only we could get steamos version of it...
          similar situation occurs when use overlay in uplay but i dont use overlay (this include steam or uplay because problems), i using linux mint 16 kde 32bits for wine (i test mainly old games)

En este canal encontraran principalmente: *Resultados de juegos de windows probados en el wine Generalmente en todas las listas de reproduccion hay videos distintos y si se llegasen a presentar videos repetidos puede ser por que hubo un cambio en el hardware de pruebas o por algun cambio importante en el wine que afecte algun titulo en especifico Para mas informacion pueden consultar mi blog http://gamesonwine.blogspot.com O en el foro de CHW http://www.chw.net/foro/gnu-linux-y-otros-sistemas-operativos/247392-juegos-windows-probados-wine.htm *Algunos videos de assasins creed brotherhood y revelaciones en multiplayer sobre windows

Comment

A lot of API's will try to reduce overhead like Mantle. This means that Wine would never deliver that level of performance. Not with out supporting state trackers like the DX9 made by Christoph Bumiller. But hopefully neither DX12 or Wine will be required for future games. Hopefully developers will move to OpenGl, and more Windows games will make their way to Linux as well as Windows. Leaving Wine for legacy Windows applications.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
              A lot of API's will try to reduce overhead like Mantle. This means that Wine would never deliver that level of performance.

Not with out supporting state trackers like the DX9 made by Christoph Bumiller. But hopefully neither DX12 or Wine will be required for future games. Hopefully developers will move to OpenGl, and more Windows games will make their way to Linux as well as Windows. Leaving Wine for legacy Windows applications.
              Exactly wine works with DX9 apps and before

For future things, other solutions maybe appears (mantle, directx12, next opengl)

Back to theme

This results is of Shadow Warrior 2013 on wine 1.7.11 with nvidia 331.38

Comment

And this result on Wine 1.7.14 with nvidia 334.21

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
                  And this result on Wine 1.7.14 with nvidia 334.21

That's impressive. Their efforts are really paying off.

Comment

I would like to see more benchmarks of Wine itself. It's a popular topic within Linux. Specifically with open source drivers and a verity of hardware. Nvidia Driver's are always going to produce great results within Wine, but lets see what happens with some open source drivers.

Comment

Working...
                    X