Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fast Color Clears Come To AMD's RadeonSI Gallium3D Driver

Hybrid View

Default Fast Color Clears Come To AMD's RadeonSI Gallium3D Driver

Phoronix: Fast Color Clears Come To AMD's RadeonSI Gallium3D Driver

Fast color clear support has appeared in patch form for the RadeonSI Gallium3D driver as a move that should further benefit the open-source GPU driver's performance...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYyNDY

If you missed it, be sure to checkout our recent R600/RadeonSI Gallium3D tests on Ubuntu 14.04 compared to the Catalyst driver where for some workloads this open-source code is running at ~80%+ the speed of AMD's binary blob.
    Quite misleading statement since the article is about RadeonSI which is ~100% not recommendable for daily use.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemosabe View Post
    Quite misleading statement since the article is about RadeonSI which is ~100% not recommendable for daily use.
    Depends on what distro and what versions you're running on RadeonSI

That's not true, with the current versions of all the SI driver components it works better than fglrx now, at least in terms of stability/etc. You only want to use fglrx now if maximum performance matters, or you really need GL4.

Testing mesa 10.2 and kernel 3.14 (custom build, vanilla) i was confronted with slow 2d acceleration and awful performance for steam games.
    I wished i could replace catalyst ASAP but the current state of RadeonSI is only usable if you own GCN Gpu but don't want to use 3d acceleration (paradox isn't it?).

Perhaps i did something terribly wrong so feel free to share your experiences

(Using A10-7850K btw)

Testing mesa 10.2 and kernel 3.14 (custom build, vanilla) i was confronted with slow 2d acceleration and awful performance for steam games.
    I wished i could replace catalyst ASAP but the current state of RadeonSI is only usable if you own GCN Gpu but don't want to use 3d acceleration (paradox isn't it?).

(Using A10-7850K btw)
    Make sure you have a new version of the ati 2d driver, manually turn the 2d tiling on, and a new version of glamor. LLVM too.

(Using A10-7850K btw)
    you are doing it wrong, if you wanna go manual build you need not only kernel and mesa but

Xorg-1.15
    libdrm
    glamor
    xf86-video-ati
    mesa
    kernel
    llvm svn
    GLU
    GLEW
    XCB

recommended aditional
    cairo
    pixman

Note: you need cross-compile for 32bits if you are using a x64 distro too

if you don't know how to do it from sources you should go and use an alternate repository for your distro like PPA for ubuntu or lcarlier pkgbuild for Archlinux, opensuse, fedora rawhide, etc

what kind of graphical cards are involved in the project?

The RadeonSI driver is in a good shape and the performance should be close to r600g. I only tested Team Fortress 2 and it was smooth. However, these components should be fresh and built in this order, or obtained from other sources:

- kernel
    - llvm
    - libdrm
    - mesa (make sure the llvm version reported by the configure script matches what you compiled)
    - glamor
    - xf86-video-ati
    - enable 2D tiling manually in xorg.conf
    - enable dynamic power management if it's not enabled by default
    - you can also set R600_DEBUG=hyperz to get a small performance boost
    Last edited by marek; 03-07-2014 at 07:16 PM.

(Using A10-7850K btw)
    You need llvm 3.4 instead of the stock one which is 3.3
    Quote Originally Posted by jrch2k8 View Post
    you are doing it wrong, if you wanna go manual build you need not only kernel and mesa but

Xorg-1.15
    libdrm
    glamor
    xf86-video-ati
    mesa
    kernel
    llvm svn
    GLU
    GLEW
    XCB

recommended aditional
    cairo
    pixman

Note: you need cross-compile for 32bits if you are using a x64 distro too

if you don't know how to do it from sources you should go and use an alternate repository for your distro like PPA for ubuntu or lcarlier pkgbuild for Archlinux, opensuse, fedora rawhide, etc
    Then recommended way for fedora users is to update mesa while enabling rawhide
    Btw, libwayland* also need upgrades because some ABI issues, although not specified by rpm.