Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BFQ Scheduler Will Try To Go Mainline In The Linux Kernel

Phoronix: BFQ Scheduler Will Try To Go Mainline In The Linux Kernel

The developers behind the BFQ I/O scheduler are preparing patches to try to mainline the scheduler within the upstream Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I find this scheduler meaningless after I started using xfs on my system partitions and when kernel 3.13 brought the io queuing layer.

Comment

Originally posted by roberth View Post
      I find this scheduler meaningless after I started using xfs on my system partitions and when kernel 3.13 brought the io queuing layer.
      Maybe you should check the benchmarks on 3.13 http://algo.ing.unimo.it/people/paol...ed/results.php

Comment

Originally posted by AnAkIn View Post
        Maybe you should check the benchmarks on 3.13 http://algo.ing.unimo.it/people/paol...ed/results.php
        I use an ssd for system partitions, and the benchmark shows no gain with bfq and ssds AFAICT.

Comment

What's this new io queuing layer? Link please?
          Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
            What's this new io queuing layer? Link please?
            Thanks!
            *Multi-Queue Block Layer

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

I use an ssd for system partitions, and the benchmark shows no gain with bfq and ssds AFAICT.
                Look again, it does for startup times.

Comment

Finally a usable, low-latency I/O scheduler for linux. I hope the kernel developers get this merged ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by AnAkIn View Post
                    Look again, it does for startup times.
                    What surprises me is that from my experience BFQ makes the boot up take longer. I tested this on my system with SSD and checked the startup time with systemd-analyze with and without "elevator=bfq" as kernel line parameter. Takes a good second longer to boot.

Comment

Working...
                    X