Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    Debian do not want to support that "nasty" glamor lib right now
    so radeonSI on debian is completely unaccelerated? (if 2d uses shadow buffer instead of glamor, 3d acceleration and uvd don't work. All you have is PM and modesetting.)

In any case, keith is as awesome as usual, and I'm looking forward to X 1.16!

Comment

Originally posted by Micket View Post
      I'm already running debian sid. Still to old.
      Just curious Micket, if youre already running sid... why not just run Arch? Probably more stable than Sid to begin with (at least when I ran sid, I was always getting broken updates)
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        Just curious Micket, if youre already running sid... why not just run Arch? Probably more stable than Sid to begin with (at least when I ran sid, I was always getting broken updates)
        I have just been running sid since i started with linux (since ~9 years ago). I don't really had any stability issues with Sid. Well, possibly an occasional package bug.

I have considered Arch, but i found the package selection to limited. No Paraview, no PETSc, no openblas, and probably many more i didnt bother to check. I can't get any work done like that.

Comment

I have considered Arch, but i found the package selection to limited. No Paraview, no PETSc, no openblas, and probably many more i didnt bother to check. I can't get any work done like that.
          Always check the AUR:

Install yaourt as per the Wiki, or just add the repo. Yaourt follows the same flags as pacman does, and even handles the normal repos.

So it'd just be 'yaourt -S paraview openblas' let the automated compile run and youve got it. Its not -exactly- the same as having it packaged in the repos, granted, but I just wanted to point out that you didnt have to go without.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

I have never really cared much about the news regarding 2D performance..
            But, I recently bought a replacement radeon card, found out the radeon driver in Debian Sid was to outdated, and I had to use the closed source version.
            Holy shit.. the 2D performance is atrocious.. Like 1 second lags before stuff is redrawn when changing virtual desktops (in Awesome WM)
            Scrolling in firefox slows to a fucking crawl.. had to turn off smooth scrolling becuase it took forever to get down to the bottom. Scrolling in firefox, i probably get about 1FPS.
            3D performance is good though (as far as I've been able to push it).

I just don't want to bother to compile thing myself, so I'm angrily just waiting for new packages.
            Why not switch to Ubuntu 14.04? Ubuntu has supported glamor/RadeonSI for a long time now. 14.04 ships with great open source drivers right now -- 10.1. It has a lot of the same packages as Debian, plus a lot of packages not included in Debian, after all -- paraview, petsc, and openblas are all there.
            Last edited by mmstick; 07 March 2014, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
              Why not switch to Ubuntu 14.04? Ubuntu has supported glamor/RadeonSI for a long time now. 14.04 ships with great open source drivers right now -- 10.1. It has a lot of the same packages as Debian, plus a lot of packages not included in Debian, after all -- paraview, petsc, and openblas are all there.
              Consider Ubuntu derivatives like K/X/Lubuntu, these give better gaming performance sometimes, especially if you disable compositing, also these don't use Unity if you don't like it.

Comment

What Ericg said.
                If a linux program isn't available in Arch, then it probably doesn't exist.

Comment

Working...
                X